Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hello from Cleethorpes...!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello from Cleethorpes...!

Andy don’t know how far your authority extended to LSA. Equiptment but as regards the British Protectorate flags of convenience did you have any say. I was in the position of being chief mate on a Gibraltar registered ship where the lifeboats had been condemned for some time before I joined the vessel , and I was there for 11 months and they were still condemned . I backed up the master and the owner that it was in hand , even by sketching out my ideas of how this was to be done. I assume the LSA certificate was suspended during this period of time , but don’t really know as the master wouldn’t reveal to me .what should have been the procedure in this situation ? Not forgetting it was the old Or all accepted duty that you worked for the benefit of the owner..Sorry if this puts you in a compromising position , but most of us are getting on in years and have nothing to hide. Cheers JS.
    R575129

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS,
    I must confess that on my travels around the world, I visited many organisations and companies with regards to the sale and maintenance of LSA. In some countries these companies did not adhere to international rules and nor did the relative authorities enforce them. I was aware of some ship owners preferring to have their ships' LSA maintained and serviced at these companies, knowing they could "buy" the necessary certification without any of the equipment being serviced or even checked. In one particular country, I visited their service station unannounced, only to find that the service station was completely empty of any kind of service equipment. Terrible really. Cheers Andy

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Andy .
    enjoy and pull up a chair.
    Ron the batcave

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On one life boat drill there was a third deck officer, English guy.
    He was there to instruct the passengers as to how the life jacket should be worn.
    There are the hard square style ones.
    Showed how the lamp and whistle worked.
    Then made a statement, what was he thinking of?

'Once the life jacket is on you may jump into the sea'

Could not help myself so spoke up.

'Jump into the sea from any height wearing one of these and you may well break your neck.'

He then corrected himself saying you should only put it on after jumping into the water.

As we left he came to me and asked my background, I told him MN so I do know a bit about life jackets.
    This meeting had been held in one of the bars which was now open, mean bugger never offered me a beer.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The correct way with the modern and the old kapok ones John was you put two hands on the two sides to hold the jacket from immediately riding up and breaking your neck when hitting the water. Have you ever tried putting a life jacket on in the water would be nigh on impossible for an elderly person. Did you never do the shipboard safety course at the swimming baths were had to jump off the highest board wearing the jacket. Both hands at the neckline holding the jacket down. another one nigh on impossible for the elderly is getting into a life raft from the sea ,passengers would have to be assisted , plus myself when I passed 60 . I plus others had to do these courses plus the real awkward one of the huet course every year or two years in some cases .So retirement looked better and better as the years went on. These were apart from the fire courses , helicopter landing officer, fireman with the foam gun on the helicopter deck, frc coxn and crew. Plus many more courses , and hoped you never had to try and remember if the worse came to the worse.. today’s certification is not just having an ABs certificate. You have to be an advanced person in first aid as well as everything else. The only thing lacking in most cases is seatime which to me makes a seaman what he is , something you don’t learn in a classroom. All these courses had an expiry date on , not something you got and forgot about. Different ships different bowsprits . Cheers JS
    R575129

10. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2