Thread: New Visitor Saying Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Visitor Saying Hello

Only did a short term as a 'boy' and nothing particularly memorable occurred so I doubt anyone will remember me. However I found this site, while looking for photo's of a couple of the ships I was on, and decided it would be nice to join.

I trained at Gravesend National Sea Training College in Catering and my first ship was T.E.S.Helcion a Shell Tanker out of Tilbury where we went to Germany back to UK and then to Rotterdam, Germany again and onto Sweden where we ended up in dry dock after a heavy storm on the North Sea pulled apart some plating and we trailed oil through the Kiel Canal - spent some happy days in Stockholm before we went to Denmark Copenhagen and somewhere in Norway. I believe Shell were heavily fined for the oil leak and we weren't allowed to sail back through the canal (but some of that may be imaginative memory).

I did a few trips on Blue Star Line 1968 (recollection of ship faded, will have to dig out old Seaman's Book; but I think one was Tasmania Star) and sailed to Aussie and Kiwi through the Panama Canal on the Port Launceston. Worst thing on the whole trip was seeing the Passenger Ferry, the Wahine, sticking up out of the water after it sank between North and South islands, with its lifeboats still attached.

Shared a cabin with other boy ratings [sorry, cannot remember his first name] Meeks and Taffy (a large haired, good humoured, Welsh lad) I don't remember even knowing his name. Alan ? was the Head cook, Pogo was one of the Stewards, Mr Brough was the Chief Steward. The Chief engineer started the journey with a huge bushy beard (like Brian Blessed) and halfway through the voyage he shaved it completely off - tbh it took me a day or two to realise who the 'new' guy was (and how we happened to have a 'new' guy onboard while we were still at sea). Other stewards were Ken, John and Stan plus a couple more I can see in my mind's eye but cannot bring any names to the fore.

While berthed at Curacao Mr Meeks and I went ashore, explored a sandy range and cut down a cactus (with a 3 inch bladed old penknife) over a metre tall which we carried back to the ship (using our belts for slings but we still got numerous spike injuries) and planted it in a fire bucket outside the Captain's door. It stayed there until we got into Australian water when we had to throw it overboard because of health regulations - bringing plants into the country.

I guess that's me introduced then. Thanks for listening

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Visitor Saying Hello

The health regulations for importation of any plant life is still very strict Chris , more strict than illegal boat people.
    Welcome to the site , don’t suffer from seasickness do you ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting CV Chris. Seem you experienced quite a lot during your 'short time' at sea. Welcome aboard.
    Gilly.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your memory seems okay Chris, if you were at sea in the '60's there would still be about 90K MN lads/lassies around, so may be difficult to remember you as an individual, but a few Port Line guys around on here and some I believe on the Launceston. Welcome aboard. List your ships and someone may remember you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for posting Chris nice opening story,
    Hope that you find a lot that may take your interest here and read all about us all.
    Cheers

Welcome Aboard!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Chris .
    Any length of Service is still important your still one of us
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Chris.
    A few Gravesend boys on site, you may know some of them, stick around you will enjoy what there is to peruse on here.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello ,
    My self Taljinder Singh from Punjab, INDIA
    I have done my pre-sea traing and I have all documents ,but I didn't get job till now plz help me to join the ship or company.

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post