Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Grandfather- James White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Looking for Grandfather- James White

I just wanted to give an update on some information I received from my mom.
    So it would appear that my grandfather James White was brought up by his grandparents in South Shields . So now I don't know of course, but it is possible White was not his birth name and maybe he took the name of his grandparents?
    Mom said he worked on the ocean boats. I see on the map that South Shields is right on the Ocean. I'm not sure if that might help find him on a boat somewhere.
    She said she thought Maybe his middle name was Walter. But she's not sure.
    As I mentioned before he had a sister Beatrix who was a Missionary in Africa. that was the only sibling my mom remembers him talking about.
    She says he never spoke about his parents
    That's all she can remember.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

debbie i have not been following your search ...but lived in south shields and shipped out of south shields.....i new many families of seafarers and many seafarers what area of tine are we looking at .....as for ocean boats there maybe some companies whereby there vessels were named ocean this or ocean that but ...it is not to do with the north sea often called the german ocean in yearsgone by .....i have many family members fro the 1800s shipping out of shields do you have any adress for him ....regards...cappy R 683532

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy,
    My Grandfather was born Oct 10 1893 and by 1925 he was in Canada where he married my grandmother. He used to say he was in the Merchant Navy and worked on the "ocean boats" (Not the name). We have no birth certificate for him.. no records at all from England. I was going on a longshot that if I could find his Merchant Navy records maybe I could find more.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi debbie ....well you are right on one thing ..there was a company in that era where the vessels had ocean in there name..i have before me a paper discharge for a vessel named ocean king ...of which my grandfathers brother...john cram signed on her in27..8..1894.......and paid of..3...1st...1894......he was an ab born in lerwick shetland isles the vessel was 598 tons...and had a small99 horse power engine.....the offficial ships number is not clear ...she was on running articles..his conduct and ability are vg and vg ....but this was not as todays or rather yesterdays they were a sign in those days......so although this does not really help much ........at least you know of the ocean king......good luck in your search......ps my forebears all settled in the river tyne area in fact two of them drowning in the tyne .....they have been seafarers for many many years......regards cappy r 683532

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Keep looking at all, just difficult matching all found, obviously if the birth name etc is not correct'
    may take a very long time. Fingers crossed. Keith.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast