Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing a novel featuring 1930 Burnyisland Economy Steamer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Writing a novel featuring 1930 Burnyisland Economy Steamer

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I disagree there Cappy, just go for it Frank, my nephew in Oz has just done his first book deal, one is published and he is writing another, with a 3rd later as part of his contract. He has been writing books for over 20 years, and this has finally paid off, good luck Frank. kt
    perhaps you are right keith but to be fair he probably had some knowledge of what he was writing about ....just my view

2. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#48. Was just above Bali, Cappy , picked up some mining. equiptment there once. JS
    R575129

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #48. Was just above Bali, Cappy , picked up some mining. equiptment there once. JS
    cant remember its name then john ...but.the shields guy was wooried for weeks and of cause the unclean jokes ....and other remarks kept him in a unhappy state with ...ring you bell and use the water on deck we dont want to use a knife or cup etc ...told me he was at his wits end lol cappy

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the same island I was there In 1995 and picked up some gear for offshore , but hadn’t been a leper Colony for a long time. Forget now the cause of leprosy but is about as easy to cure as scabies . Think the main cause of it was due to dietatary deficiencies , was a dreaded lurgy years ago , but not so today . The present plague hopefully will finish up the same way in the history books as big medical break throughs of this century. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th January 2021 at 01:13 PM.
    R575129

8. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I disagree there Cappy, just go for it Frank, my nephew in Oz has just done his first book deal, one is published and he is writing another, with a 3rd later as part of his contract. He has been writing books for over 20 years, and this has finally paid off, good luck Frank. kt

How many best sellers have been written without the author being involved in the actual topic at all, I would imagine most find out, research and do much before going to pen. My favourite author could not possibly have been involved with every topic but, has totally mastered his writing.

Would love to see the results of this one later.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 17th January 2021 at 01:33 PM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now I have choices on a island. I can see plots with the leapers and the crew. As well as the Christmas island and their people. Thanks.

The writing of the novel in itself is the reward. My retirement is enough, so money is not the goal. However, there is a plan to self-publish. More on that as the time comes closer. Because of health reason and covid, I have left the house only five times since February. This does not include hitching my English Mastiff service dog to my wheelchair and doing a few blocks around my neighborhood. Writing this book keeps me sane. Taking on a subject nothing is known of outside of Jack London and Louis L’Amour stories brings life into my 800 square foot home.

I’ve been trying to upload my sketches taken from the SS Skeldergate deck plan. I am receiving an error. Perhaps 6 megs is too big. What is the limit for attachments and embedded images?

12. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Rather than try to explain pic uploading, our senior moderator Doc will be on board later and
    am certain will assist, he has the instructions already and may post or request you e.mail them
    and he could add for you.

The typo: leapers, gave me a giggle. Though: Leprosy is only mildly infectious. You can’t catch it by touching someone. It would take years of living close to an untreated leprosy patient to catch the disease. And around 95% of people are thought to be naturally immune. But when immunity is lowered due to poor nutrition, illness and general living conditions, people are more likely to catch leprosy.

All the best Keith.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Burroughs View Post
    Now I have choices on a island. I can see plots with the leapers and the crew. As well as the Christmas island and their people. Thanks.

The writing of the novel in itself is the reward. My retirement is enough, so money is not the goal. However, there is a plan to self-publish. More on that as the time comes closer. Because of health reason and covid, I have left the house only five times since February. This does not include hitching my English Mastiff service dog to my wheelchair and doing a few blocks around my neighborhood. Writing this book keeps me sane. Taking on a subject nothing is known of outside of Jack London and Louis L’Amour stories brings life into my 800 square foot home.

I’ve been trying to upload my sketches taken from the SS Skeldergate deck plan. I am receiving an error. Perhaps 6 megs is too big. What is the limit for attachments and embedded images?

i hope you will accept my view on your writing without letting it bother you in any way which i am sure it will not ..if your third mate or anyone decides to jump ship in australia ...i may give you a few pointers on that and the confines of HMP adelaide in the 50s ie hard labour ...i would be happy to oblige ...lol R683532

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a film many years ago it was a german tramp vessel trying to get home ....it hid of an island down there ...a crew member was taken or lost a leg in a shark attack ...i think it was called the long voyage home ....but would appear a great spot for your island perhaps....any way best of luck cappy

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Frank Burroughs liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Prob a different film if a German tramp:

The Long Voyage Home (1940)

Aboard the freighter Glencairn, the lives of the crew are lived out in fear, loneliness, suspicion and cameraderie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHdaAAazcU

K.

20. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Frank Burroughs liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast