Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MN member who subsequently became RNLI coxswain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MN member who subsequently became RNLI coxswain

John, the early days of the Army was similar.
    The foot soldiers were sent into battle while the men in charge, Colonel, Major who knows, sat on his horse well away from the fight.
    If his side began to lose he could soon ride away.
    Thankfully it has over time changed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats fascinating Ivan. However I don't picture my grandad going off formally from Swanage to school. As in accountancy(in those days-early 20th century) there had to be a route for "poor" boys or those living far from Hull.I guess they simply "went to sea" as untrained dogs bodies and some prospered and others failed (or drowned!). My reading of my grandfather's abilities suggest he simply picked up the rudiments and read what literature he got his hands on. Its unlikely that he went to Navigation school.

I also have reason to believe he was permanently resident (ie not at sea) in Swanage from about 1928. Although he was married in 1921( and had a son 1921 and a daughter, my mother, in 1924, his entry on the Swanage voters list shows him either alone or with other persons. It is only from 1929 that my grandmother first appears. (I believe she might have been in service at a boarding school in Swanage but I am still chasing that.

Thank you anyway for clarifying navigation training

Ken Baugh

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Doc although I am still slightly confused. Both documents ("CR 10"s) I have attached to my original enquiry show the same person, definitely two different photos of my Grandad(both recognisable as him), but two different "numbers of identity certificate"

(In 1920+ did they really add fingerprints? There is no heading for it on the certificate although there is space for Tattoo marks.)

Discharge number is blank on both certificates.

My basic query is whether there is a central record of these details which one can consult to follow a man's career in seagoing-all his ships etc?

Thank you for your interest

Ken Baugh

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Keith, both these are my Grandad. Born in Swanage, sub registration district Wareham, Full District Poole. I have no problem identifying him-he brought me up. I have his birth certificate (1901), his marriage certificate (1921) and certificates for the birth of my Uncle and Mother. My real query is to find out how, when and where he got his MN experience.

Recently I got hold of voters details for Swanage and learned he was listed from 1921 to 1928 on his own or at addresses with other people. It is only from 1929 that his wife, my grandmother, shows up, with him, on the records. Subsequently they appear together leading me to believe he had had a short MN career 1920-1929 before he settled back in Swanage (despite being married in 1921, having a son quickly afterwards and a daughter in 1924)

Does the MN maintain a central record of each man's career showing date of joining, ships served on and where plus date of final discharge? This could fill in some gaps in my knowledge of the man.

Many thanks for your interest

Ken Baugh

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth baugh View Post
    Thats fascinating Ivan. However I don't picture my grandad going off formally from Swanage to school. As in accountancy(in those days-early 20th century) there had to be a route for "poor" boys or those living far from Hull.
    Ken Baugh
    Ken, during the 1920's (the time you are interested in) and earlier, there were numerous pre-sea training schools dotted around the country both for navigators, deckhands and catering depts. You didn't have to live in a port to attend these, I have sailed with many men from inland towns and villages and if the sea called you, you went, no matter what the obstacles, that's what most of us oldies did, it certainly wasn't for the money, I was on £6 a month when my mates ashore were on £6 a week. Once it got into your blood, there was no turning back, and the opportunity to visit far off places in those days was either in the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy, of course there was also the Army, but that was a different kettle of fish

10. Thanks kenneth baugh, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

#14: Touch wood, should have more time and will look at all further ASAP.

Keith.

12. Thanks kenneth baugh thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, interesting that there were many training schools around the country.
    My mate joined up with P&O in 1960 without going to any pre sailing training.
    He had been working in an hotel as a commi winger so no need for training school he was told.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks kenneth baugh thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, it's always been possible to go to sea without attending a pre-sea training school, depends on your initiative and, also being in the right place at the right time, happened in all departments. Had cadets accepted by the company and join straight from grammar school with a desire to go to sea, but what amazed me about most of them they had never bothered to look at any seamanship book to learn the basics, couldn't even name the parts of a derrick or remember P from S. If you survived some of the pre sea training schools, you could survive your first trip and after that it became a drug and you accepted both the sh*te and the sunshine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with that Ivan, i attended Gravesend sea school for the required 12 weeks, skint for most of it, lousy grub, but most stuck it out, and got your head down to pass the various exams. Once you were out of there and at sea it was all worth while. I count myself very lucky to have been born at a time that enabled us all to travel the world that the MN supplied. Kids today don't seem to have the adventurous life that we were able to enjoy, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth baugh View Post
    Thanks Doc although I am still slightly confused. Both documents ("CR 10"s) I have attached to my original enquiry show the same person, definitely two different photos of my Grandad(both recognisable as him), but two different "numbers of identity certificate"

(In 1920+ did they really add fingerprints? There is no heading for it on the certificate although there is space for Tattoo marks.)

Discharge number is blank on both certificates.

My basic query is whether there is a central record of these details which one can consult to follow a man's career in seagoing-all his ships etc?

Thank you for your interest

Ken Baugh
    Hello Kenneth
    I would think that he may have his Records help at the Southampton Archives in their Original Form, there are lots of Records held there but for certain Years , you can ask them though as they are very helpful. Email them.
    Central index of Merchant Seamen (southampton.gov.uk)

I am sure the 460944 is his Discharge Number not an ID Number. The other is. Or could well be Vice Versa, as they both have Six Digits to them but he would not have had Two Discharge or ID Numbers.
    Those CR10 Cards are just records of his on File , none are his actual ID Card! And yes i would say that even then Finger Prints would have been on his ID Card. This is what thay looked like , the Flip side would have the Finger Prints etc. However in that Year he joined there was i believe different Colour Card?? Others may know, other side would have looked like this .
    Cheers

Green ID Card.jpgOther side.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 4th January 2021 at 08:11 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

18. Thanks kenneth baugh thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast