Thread: New member about to do first contract as JO with UASC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New member about to do first contract as JO with UASC.

Hi all !

Name's Gregor Moore, I was a British cadet at Glasgow college from 2016-2019 with Zodiac Maritime/Clyde Marine. I passed my Oral on the second attempt in Glasgow in late February just before the lockdown (Thank god for that ! I have fellow cadets who got their exams postponed for months)

I spent most of lockdown unable to find a foothold in the job market but finally got lucky and am being taken on by UASC as a JO starting on the 2nd of October.

Anyone familiar with the how the company is now ? (Post merger with Hapag-Lloyd) Everything I've found online has been pre merger.

It has been a bit chaotic though. Originally they wanted me to join on Monday. But they emailed on Wednesday that they wanted a dentist, COVID, additional large medical including blood, drug and alcohol, X-ray tests. It became rapidly apparent that wouldn't be possible in the two or so days I had to get them done. Hence they pushed me back one port.
    Last edited by Gregor Moore; 18th September 2020 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New member about to do first contract as JO with UASC.

Welcome to the site Gregor and good luck with your future career. Like a lot of guys on this site my sea going days are long past but sorely missed . I am not sure if there are people on this site who can answer your question, if there are I am sure they will try to help. Having thought a little about your dilemma all I can think of are Nautilus International which is the present day incarnation of the old Merchant Navy Officers Association. It publishes online a magazine called the Telegraph which discuses all things nautical. More importantly I have a recollection of a couple of articles a year or two ago about putting UASC under a German shipping management company. So if you have time try googling the telegraph and nautilus and see if you can find anything useful on there sites.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post