Thread: I would like to say hello I am looking in the Woolner brothers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I would like to say hello I am looking in the Woolner brothers

Hi everyone. I am very grateful to be able to join you all. Thankyou for accepting me.

I am re-searching the Woolner brothers & wondered if there is any way i can maybe find photos of them. I knew a little about charles Norman woolner as he was often talked about but we really knew nothing about the family so i have been looking to to him & his brothers and i have learnt that they all seemed to have served at one time or another. Fred i think was taken prisoner of war but i have no idea on how i can go about finding more info on this.

I appologise this is all new to me doing the research using the interet but im trying my best to learn how to find information.
    If anyone can offer me some assistance i would be ever so grateful my family would love to learn about the brothers & possibly their father whom served their county.
    Here are the gentleman Brothers in question.

1. Charles Norman Woolner - BIRTH 18TH MARCH 1888 • South Shields, Durham, England. DEATH 15 AUG 1984 • Swansea
    Charles is an UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy-- aged 17 -- port of enrolemant - Whitby--bound the eskside steam
    Age: 25--- sailing from southampton- ellis island new york -- Charles Norman Woolner 1888 1913 New York Passenger Departure port -- address 2 wilson street north shields.
    Masters - Dublin Certificate Number: 005796
    RANK Master AWARD OBE SHIP Newton Pine.

2. Fred Woolner
    1876–1963
    BIRTH 29 OCT 1876 • South Shields, Durham, England
    DEATH DEC 1963 • Durham
    UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates -- Fred Woolner Estimated Age: 25 Birth Date: 1876 Birth Place: South Shields Issue Date: 23 Sep 1901 Issue Port: Sunderland Certificate Number: 036434.
    CORALIE HORLOCK ON 114649 WOOLNER F MASTER 54 TROJAN AVENUE SOUTH SHIELDS DUR 1876 CORALIE HORLOCK ON 114649
    Arrival Age: 54 Birth Date: abt 1876 Port of Departure: Sydney, Australia Arrival Date: 21 Mar 1930 Port of Arrival: London, England Ports of Voyage: ColomboPort Said; Malta; Brisbane; Melbourne; Sydney; Adelaide; Fremantle; Plymouth, Devon, England

3. Harry Woolner
    1883–1916
    BIRTH 18 APR 1883 • South Shields, Durham, England
    DEATH 12 SEP 1916 • France and Flanders. Know very little of Brother Harry but I know he was sadly killed in action.
    Harry Woolner 17 1884 Crew South Shield, Durham Boy Navyman. Service number 213346. Last Service Date: 6 Dec 1909 Last Ship Served On: Powerful.
    Private Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment Battalion: 1st 7th Battalion Regimental Number: T.F.5394 Type of Casualty: Died of wounds Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

There is a brother James william w - but i think he served UK airforce.

They also had a brother in law that i know little of but ada was left a widow with a young boy but i need to clarify if he was in the Navy i am unsure i still have a lot to research to do.

Bother - in - law Henry Gastall
    1882–1917
    BIRTH JULY 1882 • Clitheroe, Lancashire, England
    DEATH 25 MAR 1917 • Mesopotamia
    Serjeant GASTALL, HENRY Service Number 7630 Died 25/03/1917 Aged 35 1st Bn. Manchester Regiment Son of Michael and Martha Gastall, of Clitheroe, Lancs husband of Ada Gastall, of 7, Beethoven St., South Shields.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this & would love any help possible please in finding some information of any possible photographs of these Heros.

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I would like to say hello I am looking in the Woolner brothers

Hi Mia, A quick search i just done threw this up the dates are very close to those you posted on Harry Woolner. The link which i am giving you is free to join and you can search as much as you like, Hope this helps Regards Terry.

First name(s) Harry
    Last name Woolner
    Birth year 1897
    Age 19
    Death year 1916
    Death date 14 Sep 1916
    Number 5394
    Rank Private
    Unit 1St/7Th Bn.
    Regiment Middlesex Regiment
    Grave reference II. D. 39.
    Cemetery or memorial La Neuville British Cemetery, Corbie
    Burial country France
    Additional information Son of Henry J. and Louisa Woolner. of Tottenham, London.
    Link
    https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead
    War First World War, 1914-1918
    Record set Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour
    Category Military, armed forces & conflict
    Subcategory First World War
    Collections from Great Britain, UK None

The Link https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...UR%2F001057977
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 26th August 2020 at 05:42 PM.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I would like to say hello I am looking in the Woolner brothers

Thus far besides what Terry has found (Good one ) all i have is i think what you may have as well.

1. Charles Norman Woolner - BIRTH 18TH MARCH 1888 • South Shields, Durham, England. DEATH 15 AUG 1984 • Swansea

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C10818954 Available with appointment. Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Likes Denis O'Shea, Red Lead Ted liked this post