Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greetings everyone - interested about workload caused by collision avoidance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Greetings everyone - interested about workload caused by collision avoidance

Simples - Just read Rule 9(B) (and Rule 28) of the collision regs.

Type this in Google to read all. Added for assistance only Michael

Rule 9(B) (and Rule 28) of the collision regulations Merchant Navy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th October 2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: for info only

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Greetings everyone - interested about workload caused by collision avoidance

Simples ? we all know (or did know) what the rules are, doesn't mean that they are going to be obeyed by the other party, fortunately in my time at sea they were invariably obeyed by all. However situations change in my time the approaching speed of two vessels was probably in the region of 20 - 22 knots (on a good day!), in today's world approaching speeds can be in excess of 50 knots, but in my day the shipping lanes were much busier, we had to rely on what god gave us, eyes and sense to assess a situation and move from open bridge wing to open bridge wing to gain a clear view. Looking at some of today's vessels an uninterrupted eyeball situation is not possible, there are no open bridge wings, cranes are sited on the starboard side of a vessel, large rotary sails are situated on the starboard side of the vessel, these are just a few examples, on some vessels your view astern is obstructed by container stacks, very large retro fitted scrubber fabrications, even if you had a bridge wing you could not see astern. Are navigators not consulted these days in ship design or architects advised that unrestricted views are required, I have seen vessels designed with very large sampson posts or crane cabs sited right in front of the bridge windows, glad I'm ashore

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If all the rules had been followed we would not have had the Costa Concordia disaster.
    Or the ship that ran aground a few weeks back.

Yes, most skippers do follow the rules but sadly there will always be a rouge one out there who thinks he knows better.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3