Thread: Hi!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi!

I joined as my father has been talking recently of his merchant navy days. He was apparently on the British Hero in (i think) 1955. His name is James Ward, he was from Glasgow. I found a photo of it on ebay which I'm hoping is the right one, but any other information etc is much appreciated! Thank you 😊

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi!

Hi Caroleann and welcome aboard, sorry I can't help with your dads details, but there are other members who will try to help you
    with your quest so stay tuned, meanwhile if you Google MV British Hero "images" you will see some great pics of the ship and will
    also be able to read about the ship, she was a BP tanker, built 1954 so still a new ship when your dad was with her, best wishes, JFC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Caroleann
    Is this him although this James Ward was decorated for his actions at pearl harbor and was a U.S. Citizen.

Ward enlisted in the United States Navy at Cincinnati, Ohio, on November 25, 1940. After basic training, he reported on board the battleship USS Oklahoma (BB-37).

When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Oklahoma took three torpedoes soon after the attack began. She listed dangerously, and it was soon apparent that she would capsize. The order was given to abandon ship, but Seaman First Class Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight, thus sacrificing his own life to permit other members of the crew to escape. For his heroism at that time, he posthumously received the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor citation
    For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and complete disregard of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. When it was seen that the U.S.S. Oklahoma was going to capsize and the order was given to abandon ship, Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight so the remainder of the turret crew could see to escape, thereby sacrificing his own life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 13th August 2020 at 02:20 PM.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

RE: A lot of James Ward's in MN records, can you please supply any other info?

Place of birth, county of birth, parents and siblings names etc, anything at all you may hold could help.
    DOB will be a big help

Keith.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th August 2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added DOB

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you click on the Forums and scroll down you will come to a list of British Shipping Companies which include the British Tanker Comany, if you have your father with you he can read all the posts from people who served on those ships, he may now someone.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Built in 1954, scrapped 1972

British Hero.jpg British Hero II.jpg
    Last edited by DeepSea; 16th August 2020 at 01:55 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post