Thread: OCL containers , Bay Boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OCL containers , Bay Boats

Hi everyone hope you all coping with lockdown. It's given me time to think about my time at sea , how similar it is . Apart from finances it's quite easy being in one place for 3months , plenty of work to keep busy ,sound familiar? Anyway I was wondering if anybody out there served on bay boats around mid to late 70's. My first ship was the Discovery bay with captain Clive Short, I was also on the following , the Remuera Bay (she caught fire ashore during bunkers ) , Botany Bay , all of these I sailed a few times. One of my favourites was the Resolution Bay. What a crew and what a trip. I saw a video on this site by someone I sailed with , Dave Foley. I saw myself in some of his photos. Anyway if anyone remembers any of these trips please get in touch, all the best ! I'm Graham King from Birmingham.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: OCL containers , Bay Boats

I joined OCL in 69 and stood by the last couple of months of the building of Flinders Bay. I left four years later and went into ferries. Have you looked at the ‘Bay Boats‘ forum on Facebook? Having read some of the hair raising stories on there about the later days of OCL and P&OCL ships and their engine rooms I’m glad I left when I did! I remember Clive Short as a 2/O/N in the early days. I imagine he was good at being an Old Man.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham,
    I was on the 'Remuera Bay' when it was simply the 'Remuera', paying off in Rotterdam late December '73, I cannot say it was a particularly pleasant trip, too many tensions among the crew. Considering it was a container ship the trip was not all that fast, at that time the ports we visited in Kiwi were not geared up for container traffic, so loading and discharging took a long time. No complaints from me though!
    Cheers, Paul.

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you remember a 3oe named paul warren