Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hi all

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: hi all

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Kurtis, One i built 20 years ago Titanic, But certainly different exercise than you are taking on, Good luck Terry.
    That looks amazing!

I am sure I speak for many that would wish to see your completed model, please post a picture. I understand you are a little unfamiliar with the terminology, that is understandable, but without being too pedagogic, a 74 gun ship was not a frigate but a 4th. rate ship of the line. They were the workhorses of the any fleet, for instance at the battle of Trafalgar of the 60 ships of the line, discounting frigates and sloops, there were 37 74s. My apologies but that is what happens in coming from a Naval family, it is drummed into you, my Dad was in both world wars including Jutland, Boadicea light cruiser. Best of luck.
    Yeah, I made the error of thinking that frigate and Ship of the Line were interchangeable terms. When I looked into it, it seemed like 'frigate' was the term used for gun-ships at the time, with bigger ships given the 'Ship of the Line.' I hadn't realised that the term 'Frigate' was for smaller vessels only. Still, you learn more with each passing day!

I will definitely post a final image here! I am planning on turning it into an animated project (if my old rusty computer can handle it!) The idea I have is a naval themed chess game whereby the pieces take on the design of the era. The King would be clothed like the Captain for example, the rookies, bishops and knights as lieutenants, and the pawns as marines (one of the lieutenants could be substitued as Capt. of the Marines as well potentially). I'm not aiming for historical accuracy persé, but that's the general direction I'm aiming at. It'd be a good project to get me back into the music side of things as well.

I'm glad I've posted here though cos you guys have actually helped keep me motivated for it.

Great job Terry, looks great, but better stick 74 guns on it post haste
    Vessel of that size should fit more than a 100, surely!?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry.
    Looks like you are the same as me, I give up putting ships in bottles about 8 years ago; and painting ships pictures around the same time.
    You will I suppose like me be trying to follow what those Yanks are after on the Titanic, I thought it was a grave site? not that commercial types take any notice of that , they say they are after the radio, I think the safe.
    Des

redc.gif
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a friend who does similar though most are sailing ships.
    He has built three very large glass cabinets to hold them and they look great, one small problem though, they take up all of the front lounge.!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Terry.
    Looks like you are the same as me, I give up putting ships in bottles about 8 years ago; and painting ships pictures around the same time.
    You will I suppose like me be trying to follow what those Yanks are after on the Titanic, I thought it was a grave site? not that commercial types take any notice of that , they say they are after the radio, I think the safe.
    Des

redc.gif
    Lest We Forget
    Des, Her safe was brought to the surface back in the 80s it was documented on T.V. When they opened it, it, was empty. There are reports of very wealthy ladies rushing to the pursers office where there goodies where left for safe keeping as the Titanic was foundering. Only to find the purser missing and the office locked up.
    {terry scouse}

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

A purser’s safe ? were there others ?

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...423-story.html

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, That was part of the haul he couldn't carry, If your going into an open lifeboat in the Atlantic would you have took bank notes or jewellery, Lets not forget the purser was in a bit of a hurry to disappear. He grabbed what he could see not what was concealed in a satchel, Regards Terry. I will look into the very informative book i have on Titanic and clarify this some time today. p.s. Insured for 10 million $$ a drop in the ocean mate.
    {terry scouse}

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    When your growing old and gray it's the old brain that has to pay, {My own words} I forgot the fact that the safe had been recovered, there must be many old records and letters these people have access to, maybe they found something that tells them where to look for some goodies.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, There was nothing like what should have been stored for safe keeping in the pursers safe, Know as for the assistant purser, Who also had a safe I dont think either survived if they had they would have lived a very content life indeed.
    {terry scouse}

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ted.
    A bit like a chief steward on a B.T.C tanker.
    Des

15. Likes Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Keith, There was nothing like what should have been stored for safe keeping in the pursers safe, Know as for the assistant purser, Who also had a safe I dont think either survived if they had they would have lived a very content life indeed.

Will look at all again, think they found several safes.

K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast