Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Union Castle engineer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Union Castle engineer

Thanks for accepting me into this group. My dad was an engineer with the Union Castle Line till the end of WW2. He had an eventful war, serving on the Atlantic Convoys, North Africa Landings and D Day. He had some great stories and obviously enjoyed himself as much as you could in such times. My aunts said he was a very welcome visitor when he came home on leave with masses of foods they could only dream of. He worked on reciprocating engines so subsequently liked his TV, radio and music very loud, and went on to make a name for himself in the marine engineering field (tank cleaners and oil dispersants) . One of his chemicals was used (I think somewhat against his advice) to clean up...or try to clean up...the Torey Canyon. The government later phoned him to check if his chemical would be OK when the Buccaneers were launched, Dad hit the roof and warned them they would be left with all the low grade parts of the crude. He sent me and my brother to the Royal Merchant Navy School (Bearwood College) which was the only school I knew of which had a bar...Courage Keg at 12p a pint.

Dad had a few great quotes. Watching the Bismarck film he said he was at sea when they heard it had broken out. "We sh...t ourselves" he remarked. He also reckoned his ship blew up the Co-Op warehouse in Glasgow, It was during the terrible Glasgow Blitz. They had been asked to add anti aircraft power to the cities defences. After a few minutes firing they realised they were blind and useless. Suddenly a shell whistled over their heads, fired from another equally frustrated Union Castle ship on the other side of the port. Not taking this insult lightly they cranked round and down, and fired a retaliatory shot over their mast. They watched the round roar past the ship and up into the hills around Glasgow, never reaching a height which would explode the shell. Instead it struck the glass roof of the Co Op warehouse. Or so he said.

My dad played the long game. In my garden I have two benches with plaques on the back from a ship breaker saying they were built from teak from the AMC Antenor (Blue Funnel). Dad's ship, the Llangibby Castle, collided with the Antenor in the Solent in March 1945. I still wonder if he planned it all. (Obviously not as he was an engineer). He recalled that everyone could see the collision was going to happen minutes before they struck, but there was nothing that could be done. I have seen photos of the Antenor, and she looks like one ugly ship to my untrained eye. During the war a German AMC, the Atlantis, was ordered to pretend to be the Antenor to fool allied shipping; I wonder if the crew of the Atlantis were offended.
    On VE day I am putting the bench outside our house with an explanation as to its origin to try and give the youngsters in the village some kind of contact with the war; the Antenor did take part in 72 convoys.
    I have found some of Dad’s records, mostly the US Immigration ones. It shows that Dad shrunk half an inch between 1943 and 1944, and put on 12 pounds. Lard ****.
    If anyone can give me pointers how to access his UK merchant navy records I would be obliged.
    Last edited by Bill Roques; 6th May 2020 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Union Castle engineer

Hello Bill
    Thanks for joining the group here and also for the nice introductory story.
    That is a good start!
    Hope you enjoy the site and have a long and enjoyable stay here with us all.

Please supply your Fathers Full name and place and DOB, with that i can look up and see if his Records are online , if they atre you will have to wait till all is fully open again,as at present only certain Types of records are now available.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Bill Roques thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His full name was Wifred Seymour Roques, DOB 20.01.2012. AD

Any pointers really appreciated. His lost his paybook (?) late in the war due to enemy action. After the war he inquired about getting his campaign medals, but they were going to charge him, so e said screw it.

Sorry DOB 20.1.1912
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th May 2020 at 07:46 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a name that matches your Dads but not sure if its the same >
    Aged 32 Birth 1912 in the UK
    1944 Immigration to the USA New York City
    From New York Passengers and Ships Arrivals.
    Will look futher Tomorrow
    Cheers

Is he still Living if i may ask please! Sorry!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th May 2020 at 07:59 AM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Huge thanks for looking into this. That will be my Dad (and yes, he's dead) probably on the Stirling or Capretown Castle. Do you know if I can access any UK records about my dad? Thanks again

8. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If we can find his Records then Yes when the Archives ReOpen as they are closed for te Duration at this time.
    You mention Stirling and Cape Town Castles, was he on these as well. I was on the Stirling but dare say a long time after. When was he on these Ships? Approx Years
    Where was he Born please!

I am looking to see if i can trace his Documents, have not found Seamans Pouch,but might be in CRS10 Section.

Will advise later , but as said Archives closed at this time till futher notice
    Cheers

Died Hertfordshire England 1994 (RIP)

Born Middlesex (Mothers Maiden Name was Tucker) is this all correct ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th May 2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Y

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now another question here, do you know if he was still in the Merchant Service after 1972, i asjk as there were no Records kept after that time ,so if he was then there will be no records for him sadly.

The only other place to possibly look is at the Southampton Archives which may?? hold Originals.
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, I cannot thank you enough for your help and advice here. So you sailed under the pink funnel? The Lavender Hill mob? I mentioned that I was at the RMNSchool, one of the matrons, a very fit 29 year old, was the radio operator of the windsor Castle, the school captain fell in love with her and they got married. Bridget Baptiste, a great girl. Dad left the sea in 1946. I also think he was on the Rowallan Castle as he was sunk in the Med, saying that the ship was barely hit but the oil drained out of the lubrication system due to near misses. How do I get access to the Southampton archives? Thanks again for your advice and knowledge.
    I've put a bench outside our house for VE Day, it was made of wood from the AMC Antenor when she was broken up in Blythe.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th May 2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Enlarge Pic

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Bill
    Nice Pic there well done !
    Here is Link to Soton Archives ,once open look on left and click on the Central Index of Merchant Seamen

https://www.southampton.gov.uk/arts-.../plimsoll.aspx

As said though i dont know what they will have . ??
    It is strange that i dont find his Seamans Pouch , i will look for other Record Type CRS10 or CR10 ??
    cHEERS

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill.
    Rowallan Castle badly damaged by bomb after air attack on 14th February 1942, later sunk by H.M.S. no ship named.
    Des

16. Thanks Bill Roques, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast