Thread: Merchant ship ARTIGAS WW2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Merchant ship ARTIGAS WW2

Can anyone help??
    I am researching my late fathers WW2 Service , he was a British Army Royal Artillery Gunner serving on numerous Merchant vessels from 1941 through to 1945.
    I have obtained most of the information relating to these vessels but seem to be struggling with a vessel named ARTIGAS a Panamanian registered ship.
    This vessel was involved in numerous convoys throughout WW2.
    My late father Rowland Thomas Purcell signed onto this ship on the 23/2/1942 in Aultbea (Loch Ewe ) sailing to Reykjavik to join Arctic convoy PQ10 heading to Murmansk arriving in Murmansk on the 12/3/1942
    The return convoy was QP10 which was attacked by German Aircraft and a U boat resulting in the sinking of four ships .
    The ARTIGAS later was part of convoy ON91 sailing to the USA joining convoy XB20 from Halifax to Boston arriving there on 17/5/1942 and then onto New York where my father signed off on 12/6/1942.
    I have been trying to obtain a photograph of this vessel to put in the file i am compiling detailing my late fathers WW service
    Finally i would like to advise anyone who is thinking of researching their ancestors past to get started as it is a rewarding experience and very satisfying feeling when the pieces fit together and the results when documented chronologically leave a lasting record for future generations.
    On a personal note i started a search for my fathers WW2 history for the benefit of my two sisters and my own children and it all started when my younger sister gave me an old tin which contained some documents about my father ,once you have that one vital clue it is amazing how many doors can be opened and the information comes flooding in,all you need is patience and basic computer skills as the internet is key to gathering historical documents or records.
    My father passed away when i was seven years of age and my youngest sister was only a baby of 3 months when he died in 1963 , i never got the chance to talk to him about his Army service and my younger sister Heather never knew him but still feels the loss.
    I know that when the file documenting his wartime exploits and the detail it contains is given to her it will show that her dad was a well traveled man who volunteered his service to King and country at the tender age of nineteen
    and probably experienced more in his twenties than following generations have in a lifetime.
    In memory of DEMS gunner Rowland Thomas Purcell army service number 1610002.
    Ray P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant ship ARTIGAS WW2

Artigas Built 1920
    Cargo USA Tons 5161 DWT 7800
    Builder American Intnl SB Corp
    Yard
    Hog Island

End 1946 as Mindoka

Was he Born in 1921
    Hemsworth Yorkshire ???
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th April 2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant ship ARTIGAS WW2

I found this Ship also with that name but am sure it is not the one you want?
    Cheers

S.S. Wiegand (German cargo ship, 1911)

This ship was seized by Uruguay in 1917 and acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 18 June 1918 as USS Artigas (No ID #). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 4 January 1919.

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post