Thread: New member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New member

Hi there,
    I joined the group a while ago but have not been active for a while, so I thought I would start again. My first post was as “ deck boy “ aboard the Trinity House vessel Winston Churchill in the early 70s based in East Cowes, although I spent most of my time polishing brass and being an errand boy, we sailed mostly around the south coast and the Channel Islands it gave me a taste of life at sea. Unfortunately my time with Trinity House was not to be a long one, after 4 months I needed to wear glasses and was not permitted to work on deck. I then progressed on to sand dredgers working on some tubs ( the Friargate built in 1935 ! ) Echo ( a converted barge ) working from Cowes, I then had a short spell with A R C Marine on the dredgers before a spell on the Stone Marshall ( another sand dredger ) with a fantastic crew as we were all poached from ARC Marine ! After a spell working from Lowestoft London and Gillingham we were laid off. Then the best of all, about 5 and a bit years with Fyffes line on the M class banana boats mostly working from Central America to the East coast of America up to Halifax and all ports Europe / Mediterranean / and hot gulf ports. Had the best of times on ships like Mazatec, Matina, Manistee all named after South American rivers, even managed to progress to PO Opps ( ships Chippy ). Loved my time at sea as a single man, but eventually met a lovely girl at home and left the life to get married and spend the next 30 years as a postie !
    No regrets, just great memories, defiantly life at sea is special that’s why I joined this group
    Last edited by Roger Blair; 12th February 2020 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New member

Hello Roger
    Welcome can i say Back! I ask as i have looked and cannot find any other Posts from you, this is the only one i see.?
    Anyway nice to have you with us and i hope now that you will continue to Post and read all that we have on offer.
    Enjoy and thanks for returning
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome back Sir
    Ron The batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger!
    I searched the name Stone Marshall and it led me to you. I went aboard her as a DHU in about 1973 and was in her, off and on, until she was sold to a company in Terneuzen in 1977. My uncle, Les Sharman, was Second mate for a while and his uncle Bob was agent. Nepotism!!. She was owned by J.J. Riley at first and later bought by Volker. I left her in Dordrecht and never went to sea again other than in small craft. John Thompson was skipper during my time - a crusty Scot but I got on with him very well.
    Did we coincide?
    John Powell

5. Likes Graham Payne, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post