Thread: Sea Breezes Magazine Article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sea Breezes Magazine Article

Very interesting article in February issue of this magazine on the sinking of the M/V R B Angus, in the North Pacific Ocean in 1967. She was a Canadian Pacific vessel from CPBemuda. It is amazing that the whole crew of thirty nine survived, the article details the whole event. I sailed with CP for six years and knew most of the officers. I did my last voyage to sea on the new vessel "Pacific Logger" that was built to replace the ANGUS. Strange that we nearly met the same fate on my second voyage, at the same time of the year on a brand new ship. We had loaded a full cargo of lumber in Coos Bay Oregon and hit really bad weather after two days out which flooded hold number one and the Captain turned us around and we limped into Astoria Washington State, with the Chinese crew wearing their life vests for three days. When we tied up the ships name was on the water line.

You guys should read the article on the R B Angus in February Sea Breezes
    I am looking to contact any one who is left from that event. I know that my mate John Hulland has passed on, from the CP Website that no longer exists, big shame on this site
    I will try to post some photos of the event on the Pacific Logger.

Geoff Bray

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Colin Wood, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea Breezes Magazine Article

Geoff.
    I was in C.P. from 67 to 88. Pretty Shure I sailed with you, possibly on on of the forest product ships, also sailed with john Holland (wingnut?) But cannot remember on what ship. Never was on the Angus or the Logger but sailed with the old leckie off the Angus, Stan ****? And the 3rd mate, Richard ****? ( He was a vicars son). Strangely enough when I took my master's orals the guy examining me had been the B.O.T. surveyor in charge of the enquiry into the loss of the Angus, so most of my exam was spent talking about her.
    When the Logger was sold it was found that there were a auspiciously large number of new batch tarps on board and the finger was pointed at a certain captain (10% be**n) who had got a back hander from the supplier for each of them. The same guy was involved in some dodgy furniture deal for new lounge furniture on the canmar ambassador when she was taken over from her previous owners.
    Often wonder whatever happened to all those guys who worked for C.P. as after they folded I only ever came across about 5-10 of them in the next 20 odd years of sailing, there were certainly some characters in C.P. though and a great mix of experience from guys who had sailed in other companies.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,
    I was wondering if I ever sailed with you, it must have been on the Beaverelm, I sailed mostly on the beaverboats. The only other two was I stood by the Lord Strathcona in Japan and did a few voyages, and then my very last ship was the Pacific Logger, which I joined on the west coast in Anacotes Washington, I did four months and then swallowed the anchor in February 1970. Stan Jones was the Leckie on both the Angus when she went down and was also on the Logger with me, when we nearly went down. I am trying to think of the third mate that you mentioned. John Hulland (Wingnut) was a very good friend of mine unfortunately he crossed the bar quite a few years ago, and I only found out because of the CP Website that is no longer. The only other two guys I keep in touch with are Nick Maslen in Canada and Pete Maiden in UK, although on a visit home I had a pint with Pete and Willy Sherlock one time. Pete told me within the last six months that Brian Banister past away, I only ever met him briefly on one of the Empy boats.
    Best Regards
    Geoff Bray

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should have headed this article as CANADIAN PACIFIC

8. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope to upload a couple of pictures of my last voyage.
    Sorry no success today
    I have to recruit one of my tech gurus... son
    Thank You Chris

Geoff Bray

10. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey there, thanks for sharing that interesting article about the sinking of M/V R B Angus! It's amazing that the whole crew managed to survive. It must have been a terrifying experience for them. I'm sorry to hear about your mate John Hulland passing away and the unfortunate disappearance of the CP website. It's always great to be able to connect with people who have shared similar experiences, so I hope you're able to find some others who were there. By the way, have you ever checked out any online literary magazines? They can be a great source of interesting articles and stories. I recently discovered some myself and have been hooked ever since. Thanks again for sharing, and take care!

12. Likes N/A liked this post