Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer exMN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Newcomer exMN

I came across this site as I was researching the Ben Line. I sailed on a couple in the 60s BENLAWERS and BENCRUACHAN amongst others of different companies I left the sea as EDH to work ashore as rigger then steel erector.
    I started looking online at merchant ships and became engrossed with the Ben line. Looking back I think the MN years in the 60s were the best in my working life (wish I could put the clock back).
    At present I'm researching the ben line,
    (company name changes and Owners )
    (all ships individual history(steam, motor and Sail )
    (Events of individual ships war & peace)

I have 3 books to help me : The ben line at war 1939--1945, Ben Line Fleet List and Short history, and THE BEN LINE (Bible)By George Blake. I know it will take forever but i am really interested and enjoying this .

If anyone has any stories or info about anything ben Line please get in touch

Thank you and look forward to reading you posts
    johnnieedh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Newcomer exMN

Quote - Looking back I think the MN years in the 60s were the best in my working life (wish I could put the clock back).
    John, you will find many, many people on this fantastic site who share these thoughts.
    I sincerely hope you enjoy your time here as much as i have. There is a lot of stuff to read and some great stories.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello John M
    Welcome to the site and thanks for the post ,which sounds very interesting,and like said many others here do similar of the Companies that they worked for in the Years past!
    Ah yes as you so rightly say John,if only we could turn that Clock back how wonderful that would be,as we lived and Sailed in the best Years that will and can never be repeated. So many stories come forward here that bring back such great memories,so sad to think that it is all now gone ! The great Ports of London and Southampton,and many others too, life then was so free and easy ,but we worked hard and enjoyed it all.
    So many of Todays young Men and Women will never know the thrill of being employed on such ships as we were, missing out on what was the finest Fleets in the World.
    So just enjoy what you can here now John,relax and read all the stories ,i am sure a lot will take you back to your wonder Years.
    Good past time though that you have chosen and wish you all the luck in getting a full History of everything
    Cheers

PS John could you also please post your Ships and details on our Crew list which adds to our extensive list we have . Just click on Crew list and start new thread

https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...?do=form&fid=1

Thank You
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th January 2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys ,
    Nice to met you and already I'm developing an interest in the MN again
    After all these years apart from researching The Ben Line History & Fleet I have fond an interest in YOU TUBE clips of the Merchant navy
    and resurrected old tape cartridges ( made by Snobow productions ) in order to covert them to DVD. so plenty to do which I'm looking forward to.
    First Question : Does anyone remember Captain Enrico Massarella ? (my uncle) who sailed with the Ben Line for many years and was cargo superintendent
    when I met him in Germany in the 60s
    I'll close now but look forward to talking to you soon

John Maguire

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Snobow productions

They really have some great old Videos dont they.
    I have quite a few in my collection as well,and often watch them brings back those lovely memories!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site John
    Ron The batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too was there in the 60s and it is through this site that sometimes triggers of past memories of those times because to be honest about it? I do not recall much of the 60s except for the trips and company that I had done but to recall who I signed on with other that just a few memorial ones it is all a blur. That is without any happy weed just alcohol and good bloody company. Still expecting a knock on the door one day for someone to tell me that I am their dad. Hence why I am easy to find for them if there is any. Good luck with your search mate.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    I too was there in the 60s and it is through this site that sometimes triggers of past memories of those times because to be honest about it? I do not recall much of the 60s except for the trips and company that I had done but to recall who I signed on with other that just a few memorial ones it is all a blur. That is without any happy weed just alcohol and good bloody company. Still expecting a knock on the door one day for someone to tell me that I am their dad. Hence why I am easy to find for them if there is any. Good luck with your search mate.
    Knowing you the way I do. If you got a knock on the door from anyone with those words hiya dad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we talk child maintenance going back 40 years, After your sheriff had finished beating you up the next stop would be the nearest brief
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I think the Fifties was the best time, i was there from Dec 49 to Dec 50 every thing getting back to normal after the war years before commercialization and skyscrapers spoilt the cities, loads of new ships, great memories.img220.jpg Perth. Western Australia.jpg just 2 of the many I took Townsville and Perth

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Lacey View Post
    Personally I think the Fifties was the best time, i was there from Dec 49 to Dec 50 every thing getting back to normal after the war years before commercialization and skyscrapers spoilt the cities, loads of new ships, great memories.img220.jpg Perth. Western Australia.jpg just 2 of the many I took Townsville and Perth
    Thanks for the pics Fred, I was there in the 50s and it's nice to see it as it was then, I remember climbing the big hill at Townsville after sinking a
    few beers, we got half way up and suddenly found ourselves surrounded by Taipan snakes, we came down that hill a lot faster than going up it.
    I remember it to be very much like a cowboy town with raised boardwalks, in a shop window was a large jar with a pickled Taipan snake and a
    card saying how poisonous they are so we felt lucky to have got away from the hill unharmed, a couple of young lads strolled past on their way
    out to the bush, they were carrying a rifle and a box of cartridges, life there was lived at a very leisurely pace, unrecognisable to what it is today.
    I do realise that life moves on and progress is essential, but I am so glad that I saw the world before it changed forever. Cheers

i

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast