Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer exMN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Newcomer exMN

Hi John. remember Cairns being even worse..another one of Townsville from the top of the hill to the harbour.img219.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Lacey View Post
    Hi John. remember Cairns being even worse..another one of Townsville from the top of the hill to the harbour.img219.jpg
    I'm surprised you got to the top of that hill with all those snakes, at last I know what it looked like from the top, I did buy a camera and have a few
    photos that bring back memories of those days but now wish I had been more organised and taken more of different ports. I remember Cairns as far
    as the pub, don't think there was much other than that other than the mosquitos and some scary looking stuff swimming around the ship, today it's a tourist place, amazing really how things have changed, there was one place on that coast where the first building you saw was painted white and on
    the wall in very big letters was a sign saying, "KEROSENE LIGHT OF THE AGE" can't remember where it was now but I wish I'd taken a photo of that,
    I keep meaning to get the voyage list for my ships as I'm beginning to forget some of the ports I've been to, thanks again for the pics Fred. Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in Cairns and Townsville again last March, not changed much over the years. still hot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perth, and Freemantle are the most isolated capital cities in the world. Perth is closer to India than Sydney and it shows.
    Not saying they are behind the times but it is only in the last year or so they have come to grips with Sunday shopping.
    Apart from the main center of Perth on a Sunday the rest is like a morgue.

But both Perth and Freemantle do have one thing going for them, both still have 'The Mission to Seafarers'.
    Also one in Geralton from which I purchased a few momentos.
    There are still some 14 of them across the country.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Knowing you the way I do. If you got a knock on the door from anyone with those words hiya dad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we talk child maintenance going back 40 years, After your sheriff had finished beating you up the next stop would be the nearest brief
    That is something that I learnt at sea mate. Tell it like it is and get it over with so yes I have told the sheriff that it could happen and pretty sure of one born in Tasmania. Problem being that because of those times did not recall her name after a couple of ports but was told this a year later. So if she can recall my name, as said I am bloody easy to trace. The problem could be the tin lids finding that they will have to share bugger all of bugger all because this little black duck is about brassic LOL.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have enjoyed reading your letters lads and I will have to spend time finding my way about this site.Regarding the Ben Line research, I'm still at the beginning preparing files, folders and titles
    At the moment have started on sailing ships of Wm Thomson & Co. before the took the title of BEN LINE STEAMERS there is so much especially as some ships went through a few name changes and companies.
    At the moment I'm reading about the ship BENALBANACH during ww2. She was involved in operation ''Torch'' ( North Africa ) and later she was torpedoed and sunk.
    This has made me try and dig out my father's discharge book because I remember an entry stamped ''Special Operations '' and I think the dates covered the Normandy landings so one thing is triggering others .
    Anyway I'll stop ramblin
    Look forward to reading you letters
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a correction my first post on this thread should have read Dec 49 to Dec 59. 10 years.
    7 years on Port Boats and 3 years on Beaver Boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    That is something that I learnt at sea mate. Tell it like it is and get it over with so yes I have told the sheriff that it could happen and pretty sure of one born in Tasmania. Problem being that because of those times did not recall her name after a couple of ports but was told this a year later. So if she can recall my name, as said I am bloody easy to trace. The problem could be the tin lids finding that they will have to share bugger all of bugger all because this little black duck is about brassic LOL.
    Les, some do not wait that long.
    Many moons ago I had an interlude with a 'lady' in Durban.
    Some 7 or so months later I see her again and she tells me this is your boy.
    Yes, but you see it takes 9 months and this one is about 2 months old, nice try, now go for the next sucker.
    Never saw her again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Les, some do not wait that long.
    Many moons ago I had an interlude with a 'lady' in Durban.
    Some 7 or so months later I see her again and she tells me this is your boy.
    Yes, but you see it takes 9 months and this one is about 2 months old, nice try, now go for the next sucker.
    Never saw her again.
    Lets face it, if it wasn't wearing flip flops and shorts it definitely wasn't yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Fred.
    Like me your showing your age, I was April 49 to 66, my misdeeds were short lived as I met my wife in 57, lucky lucky.
    Cheers Des

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast