I am a postal historian researcher, writing for no payment for British academic journals such as “The London Philatelist”. I am not interested in the various designs made by crew members and applied to their outgoing-mail (of great interest to many, I know), but I AM interested in any mail addressed TO the ships, which seems to have been overlooked in publications so far. I have images of one such envelope (but not the original, alas) from Czechoslovakia addressed to Ing.Knrouek, m/s Lednice, Suez, Egypt.
Is there any possibility that you could use your links with members to get scans (preferably 300 dpi, or better) of the front and back of any such envelope or postcard? It seems to me that here is a story waiting to be told to an audience probably totally ignorant of this fascinating nugget of history. Any one who helps thus will be fully acknowledged and might find they have a treasure
If you can find even one such item, I think it would be worth writing about it for a journal of postal history.
I look forward to hearing from you.
David