Thread: T & J Harrison of Liverpool

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default T & J Harrison of Liverpool

After managing to stay away from the sea for much of the past 20 years I now find myself working on an FPSO off West Africa.

Strange how things turn out?

I checked out this site to see if there were any members from T & J, 2 fat and 1 lean! No mentions.

I served my apprenticeship with them, stayed in Liverpool a few years, then ended up with Denholm Ship Management via Commodore Shipping.

Any old shipmates out there?

Chris (Miles)

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: T & J Harrison of Liverpool

Hi, I was 3rd n 2nd mate in harrisons between 1967 and 1973. Sailed on forester, defender, wanderer, philosopher, statesman, naturalist, trader, historian, adventurer and craftsman. Brings back loads of happy memories. Left for Panocean Anco . Brgds Richard Cox

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Miles View Post
    After managing to stay away from the sea for much of the past 20 years I now find myself working on an FPSO off West Africa.

Strange how things turn out?

I checked out this site to see if there were any members from T & J, 2 fat and 1 lean! No mentions.

I served my apprenticeship with them, stayed in Liverpool a few years, then ended up with Denholm Ship Management via Commodore Shipping.

Any old shipmates out there?

Chris (Miles)
    Hi Chris, I hope its not the Bonga

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard cox View Post
    Hi, I was 3rd n 2nd mate in harrisons between 1967 and 1973. Sailed on forester, defender, wanderer, philosopher, statesman, naturalist, trader, historian, adventurer and craftsman. Brings back loads of happy memories. Left for Panocean Anco . Brgds Richard Cox
    Hi Rich where you in this Craftsman, Or the old one. I was with Harrison's for a while, Philosopher, 3 x Linguist and this Craftsman the biggest single heavy lift ship in anyone's Merchant Navy when she was launched in 1972 2 massive lifting gear she could haul 500 ton one lift. Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Craftsman did she suffer a crankcase explosion late 72 or early 73. One engineer killed, if memory is correct.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Craftsman did she suffer a crankcase explosion late 72 or early 73. One engineer killed, if memory is correct.
    Vic
    Vic I never heard of that one, But I can report the day I joined her, She had loaded a 400 ton turbine if my memory serves me it was bound for Glasgow, The lifting gear had sparked a fire some thing to do with the Turbine we where along side here in Liverpool and although all hands went to there fire stations, The fire brigade where called and they prevented us from sailing for 3 days, But never heard of an Engineer killed aboard her, Then again I cant rule it out you could well be correct Terry.
    {terry scouse}

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, we were in Cape Town and she was berthed not far from us, sailed before on same day.
    During night picked up SOS from her, cape radio asked for vessels to go to her aid. We diverted course as did one of the Mail Ships.
    After a few hours the Harrison ship radioed help had arrived. All were baflled, until it was announced it was A Russian merchant ship.
    The Russian had listened in but had not taken part in radio conversations.
    Cape Town Radio laid into the Russkies for waisting everyone's time.
    If memory serves correctly one killed, and a few with serious burns.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic, The thing that baffled me with the Craftsman, Was although she was the biggest heavy lift ship in the uk fleet back in 72, Harrisons sold her very early in her career I think she was sold to the Japs after about 3 years not ,going to google it , Maybe she was surplus to requirement but she was when launched a very modern ship. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am ex clan line plus many other companies. I spent the last 11 years before retirement on the Port Kembla tugs.
    We had a harbour pilot called Bob Myles who served his apprenticeship with Harrisons. Bob was a scot and retired 10 years ago. He would have been in Harrisons between 1960 to 65.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi. My Dad was in the Merchant Navy from 1954 to around 1971. He served with Harrison's and was bosun for probably the last 8 years. He passed away in 1993 but I have his blue log book and he has several entries for Winchester Castle, Ophia, Factor, Wanderer, Senator, Diplomat, Crofter, Biographer, Author, Degema, Administrator, Adventurer, Plainsman, Naturalist. But the one he has most entries for was Defender. My Da's name was Norman Crawford. Anyone remember him?

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post