Thread: My name is Karyn Derbyshire. I have joined to find help finding info on my Grandad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My name is Karyn Derbyshire. I have joined this site in the hope of finding some info on my Grandad.

Hi everyone. I have recently started to search for any information I can find on my Grandfather I never knew. My mum didnt know a lot about him either really. I decided I wanted to find anything I can while mum is still around. She is 87 this year.

My Grandfather name was George Noble Morrice. He was in the Merchant Navy his whole working life in fact he died on board his ship on the 9th May 1958 aged 53 and had a sea burial. His rank listed on his death notice was A.B. The ship he was on at the time was the BENREOCH. Official number is 184037. The ship was build and launched in 1952 and built by Charlies Connell & Co. Original owners was Ben Line Steamers Ltd. He was also in world war 2 and after the war he got a letter from Winston Churchill thanking him for his bravery as his ship saved a lot of people from drowning due to their ships being damaged. He was born and lived his whole life at 7 North Square, Footdee, Aberdeen.

This is all the information I have on him regarding his life as a Merchant Navy. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction as to who I could contact that could possibly help me find his service records, I would die to get a copy of the letter he received from Winston Churchill and to also get any photos of him at all. Anything would be fantastic.

Regards Karyn
    Last edited by karyn Derbyshire; 4th July 2019 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My name is Karyn Derbyshire. I have joined this site in the hope of finding some info on my Gran

02 March 1945 Gazette Issue 36968, Supplement 1259 published 06 March 1945

George Morrice: Commendation – for brave conduct when rescuing the crew of a tank landing ship – when Able Seaman

Rescue Ship DUNDEE (Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Company Ltd.) - On 18 October 1944 when in Convoy ON.260 she rescued 13 (one was already dead and one died on board) from a foundering Landing Craft (Tank), LCT 7014 in The North Atlantic; in view of the damages incurred in the rescue she was ordered back to Liverpool and The C-in-C, Admiral Sir Max Horton visited the ship to convey his personal congratulations on their efforts to the Master and Crew.

The London Gazette reports:-

The s.s. "Dundee" went to the assistance of a tank landing craft which was in distress in the Atlantic. The weather was very bad with strong wind and high seas and when the landing craft was sighted she was almost awash. Efforts were made immediately to get -rocket lines on board and to launch rafts from the windward side. As these efforts were unsuccessful the "Dundee" was maneuvered as close alongside the craft as possible. Five survivors were able to board the rescue vessel but, owing to the weather conditions, the ships then collided and it was necessary to take the "Dundee" clear. Again she was maneuvered into position and contact was established by means of rockets. A raft was then passed to the disabled craft and three more men were rescued. Shortly afterwards the Landing craft foundered, forcing the remainder of her crew to take to their own raft. The "Dundee" closed this raft and four more men were picked up. Captain Murray displayed exceptional judgment and seamanship throughout. In spite of the very great risk involved, he unhesitatingly decided to place his ship alongside the disabled landing craft and this effort, which called for skill and courage of a high order, undoubtedly saved the lives of twelve men.

A copy of his CRS-10 service file should be held in the 1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service. These records are held at The National Archives at Kew in classification BT 382. They are held in block by surname and each file holds the records of up to sixty individuals and would require a visit to Kew unless you want to pay their outrageous fees. His service file should be held in file “BT 382/1260” covering the surnames ”Mornin D to Morris Austin” These file details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include: Name of ship and official number, date of engagement. Date of discharge whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: My name is Karyn Derbyshire. I have joined to find help finding info on my Grandad.

Hope the below helps.

Keith.

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941
    Search all collections

1-6 of 6 Results for Name: George Noble Morrice Birth Year (Range): 1904 - 1906
    Number of results to show: 20 50 100
    Export Results 1-6

George Morrice
    birth:
    Aberdeenshire
    military service:
    United Kingdom

George Morrice
    birth:
    Aberdeenshire