Thread: SS Logician Joseph Campbell puzzle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SS Logician Joseph Campbell puzzle.

Hi all,

I am researching my grandfather Joseph Campbell who died in Crete at Suda Bay I 1941. He was a Fireman and Trimmer aboard the Harrison Line’s SS Logician. Here is the problem, I have records that state he died in hospital from his wounds but he has no known grave. Now I realise that Crete had the hell bombed out of it and that may have been the cause of the lost of his grave location. I have come across 2 records from the British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths Ans Burials the first from 1941 which give a plot location for a burial, but I can’t make out the cemetery name, the second from 1943 given no location. Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

Thanks in advance

Jackie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Logician Joseph Campbell puzzle.

Extracted from my book, SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

LOGICIAN (Captain W. Jones). On 10 May, 1941, sailed in a small convoy from Alexandria and, together with the Dalesman, arrived in Suda Bay, on the north coast of Crete, at about 2am on the 13th. On the 15th, she was hit by 3 bombs, but succeeded in discharging her cargo before being sunk by further bombing on the 25th; 5 days after the start of the German invasion of the Island. Six died, 20 became prisoners of war, and 27 escaped on ships to Alexandria.

3. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Prentice View Post
    Hi all,

I am researching my grandfather Joseph Campbell who died in Crete at Suda Bay I 1941. He was a Fireman and Trimmer aboard the Harrison Line’s SS Logician. Here is the problem, I have records that state he died in hospital from his wounds but he has no known grave. Now I realise that Crete had the hell bombed out of it and that may have been the cause of the lost of his grave location. I have come across 2 records from the British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths Ans Burials the first from 1941 which give a plot location for a burial, but I can’t make out the cemetery name, the second from 1943 given no location. Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

Thanks in advance

Jackie
    Hello Jackie, I am convinced my Uncle David Mann was aboard the Logician in May 1941, he managed to escape and was helped by the islanders to cross the island. I still need proof but find it hard to find the list of crew.

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I will try to look further ASAP.

Under:People on board SS LOGICIAN1231.CAMPBELL, JOSEPH (23), Fireman and Trimmer, SS Logician, Merchant Navy, †21/05/1941, Son of James and Annie Campbell; husband of Irene Campbell, of Liverpool, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial

https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?156431

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Possibly some confusion or oversight as these deaths were not recorded until December 1941. There is an entry in Deaths at Sea Register near your Grandfathers name stating that one of the men was buried in the Ismailia Military Cemetery. Plot 4 Row D. Grave 2. The Ismailia Military Cemetery is actually in Egypt.

Cargo liner Logician, 5,993grt, (T&J Harrison) loaded with a cargo of tanks and munitions at Liverpool sailed to the Clyde and joined up with the Freetown bound 29 ship Convoy WS-6A, sailing on the 9th February 1941, arriving at Freetown on the 1st March. Here the ship joined up with the 34 ship Cape Town bound Convoy WS-6 and once off Cape Town continued onto Durban, arriving on the 25th March. From there the ship joined up with Convoy WS-6D sailing on the 31st March and dispersed off Aden six days later where the ship continued to Alexandria via Suez, arriving Alexandria on the 29th April. For the final part of her voyage the Logician joined up with 4 ship Convoy ANF-30 for Suda Bay arriving on the 14th May and was unsuccessfully attacked by enemy aircraft. On the 16th after completing discharging the ship came under attack once more killing three crewmembers who were buried at Suda Bay War Cemetery and wounding a number of others who were placed in a temporary make-shift hospital. Two of the wounded died and their burials remain unknown, so were added to Tower Hill. The remaining wounded eventually became prisoners of war, while the other surviving crewmembers were evacuated by British landing craft. The Logician was finally sunk two miles from Kalani Prism on the 25th May. The prisoners were transported on the prison ship Santa Cathirina to Salonika and held in Greece for five weeks before being transported by rail for an eight day journey through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungry and Austria and eventually interned at the Sandbostal Concentration Camp until the Merchant Navy prison camp Milag Nord was finally constructed in 1942, where they were interned for the duration of the war until the camp was liberated 28th April 1945. One other crewmember from the Logician commemorated on Tower Hill (REEVES, T.H.) died in hospital in Durban on the 14th August 1940 from “cancer of the liver” and is actually buried in the Durban (Stellawood) Cemetery.

It is possible your Grandfather was one of those evacuated by the British Landing craft and ended up in Egypt, where he died, but there is no listing of him being buried there with the CWGC. Again a possible oversight as a number of those commemorated on Tower Hill have been found to be buried ashore.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 9th September 2019 at 02:38 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jackie, I would second what Deep Sea { Billy } Has suggested it appears your Grandfather could have his final resting place just about anywhere not that it brings you any comfort I hope I am proved wrong and wish you well in your quest this plate shown as you will know is at Tower Hill London. Regards Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 9th September 2019 at 03:06 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As not sure on this i am sure that Deep Sea is quite correct in all.
    Just this link in case i dont know if it is of any use at all though??
    Hope it may be though??
    Cheers

Not too clear ?

https://johnrgbland.blogspot.com/201...-cemetery.html

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...pbell,-joseph/

https://www.meetcrete.com/the-war-ce...ay-and-maleme/

Deaths at Sea Register states "Buried at Ismalia Military Cemetery Plot 4, Row D, Grave No 2

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th September 2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Smith View Post
    Hello Jackie, I am convinced my Uncle David Mann was aboard the Logician in May 1941, he managed to escape and was helped by the islanders to cross the island. I still need proof but find it hard to find the list of crew.
    You need a copy of the Logician's 1941 Log Book and Crew Agreements held at Kew under the ships Official No. 149678 to determine if he was on board at the time of her loss.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)