Thread: Aien brothers from leith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Aien brothers from leith

They spent a long time at sea on all types off ships including the Russian convoys, also salvensons whaling ships also been boats.anyone remember these guys .my father was James and Louise and John my uncle's the stories they told me when I was a kid was unreal. Thanks very much

2. Thanks Captain Kong, cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Aien brothers from leith

Sailed with a McCoughlin, think have spelt right. His first name might come back to me but was always known as Mac. He wrote books his first was called the Deep South about the factory ships in South Georgia, I knew him in the 50s so was some time before this. He was or had been the working mate on the Harvester. He was a.scotsman and lived in Shields for a number of years. In the 80s going into Leith one time the pilot told me he lived on the he north part of the river was well retired and wrote novels mostly of a sea going nature. He was well known on Salvesons. Had also been master. On their. Transport ships. A lady. Who lives out here in WA was also telling me her older brother had been chief engineer on the venturer , he also a long time dead now. What sort of years are you talking about. Regards JS. PS think his name was William. You might find out about him via his books he wrote. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th September 2018 at 12:09 PM.

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

when i was 10 year old...my mam sent me for three fish and chips in shields she gave me half a crown and a sixpenny piece ..it was early evening and the shop was filled ......as i got near the counter a very drunken guy came in .......give every one fish and chips on me he shouted .....im a whalerman ....off the venturer.....or it may have been the harvester......memory slipped as it was 68 years ago.....and give me two ton of chips and a humty backed whale......got my fish and chips buck she ...and scuttled home and sin of sins didnt tell me mam and i kept the money ..a few years later my mate ecky underwood sailed on his ist trip and got sunk in the baltic ....waslost in the fog a couple of days or so then found....his next ship was the venture he did 17 months down south on the ship and on georgia ......didnt like it but liked the money .....it didnt put him off he went to sea for many years......last saw him in aucland 61 ...proper good times ....long gone now ......cappy

6. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This lady whose brother was on the factory ships was from Shields, next time I see will write her name down, she’s been out here about 60 years though. This McCoughlin and the first book he wrote I was proof reading it for him. Was all written out in longhand and printed years later and was very expensive for the times. There were the best part of 800 men went down to South Georgia on each of those factory ships. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th September 2018 at 12:57 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cousin
    Did you find anything I am Louis youngest daughter, I have just popped my Dad's discharge books onto a spreadsheet if you are interested.
    Last edited by Janet Aien; 29th September 2021 at 07:44 AM.

10. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

James Aien on board the SA Briar.

1 WHALER.jpg

It was an eight-month season, sailing from Liverpool,
    via the Dutch East Indies, to South Georgia.

https://www.edinburghcollected.org/filter/tag?tag=ship

? https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/se...l=AND&tree=ID1

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Aien View Post
    Hi Cousin
    Did you find anything I am Louis youngest daughter, I have just popped my Dad's discharge books onto a spreadsheet if you are interested.

It is an old thread that I missed before, please update and let us know if or how we may assist if needed.

Regards,

Keith.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post