Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Daughter of Dick Turpin (Beaverbank 1959)

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Daughter of Dick Turpin (Beaverbank 1959)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Turpin View Post
    My dad recently passed away. among his things I found his seaman's card and numerous photos from his days when he was an engineer on the Beaverbank ship from the bank shipping line...just came on here to see if anybody knew dad. see if anyone else was around and just genrally just do some poking around.
    thanks
    Natalie

RE: I found his seaman's card

Would you have his full name, eg Richard or Dick, initials, date / place of birth - Discharge / seamans number etc ?

Regards Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Turpin View Post
    Cant seem to post a photo of it, but found some type of recommendation letter from The Bank Line Limited. MV: Beaverbank - Port: Liverpool - Date:5th March 1960

"To whom it may concern:
    This is to certify that C.R. Turpin has served on the above vessel since 8th September 1959, to the present date as sixth engineer. During this time he has been assistant, to the senior in charge of the watch, on the main and auxiliary machinery fo reight hours of each day. He is a good engineer, of very good conduct, willing and obliging in his demeamour, and at all times strictly sober.
    Chief Engineer - J(?) Boyd
    Master PD(?) Macfarlane"
    That is a standard reference letter that all engineers got at the end of a voyage so when you went to set certificates of competency in later life you could prove where you had been and what you had done each company's with probably a very slightly different format had exactly the same contents . Depending on what your actual job was depended on how the Department of trade and Industry who in those days were the examiner regarded your sea time for instance they would only allow so much time on auxiliary machinery to count so for every trip there should be one of those certificates
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Natalie Turpin thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    That is a standard reference letter that all engineers got at the end of a voyage so when you went to set certificates of competency in later life you could prove where you had been and what you had done each company's with probably a very slightly different format had exactly the same contents . Depending on what your actual job was depended on how the Department of trade and Industry who in those days were the examiner regarded your sea time for instance they would only allow so much time on auxiliary machinery to count so for every trip there should be one of those certificates
    ah. funny. i loved the "strictly sober"
    I found out dad didnt really start drinking til he got to the states!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th May 2018 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'Strictly Sober'?
    A term often used but never explained.

How strict did you have to be sober and did it mean you could reach a certain point in your drinking and no more.

Or worse still you never took a drink?

On many occasions I have been strictly sober, only because I did not have enough cash for the next pint.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking back any terminology that I read on British and Commonwealth references was in regards of sobriety we're all Mark V G for very good which to my mind to live to sobriety was just sort of odd term to use .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Likes Natalie Turpin liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The use of terms like sober and of sober habits are not used in the same way as in years gone by, many of my older character references included such as sober and of sober habits these generally in recommendation for senior management posts and were necessary for an employer to gain indemnity for an employee via fidelity bonding etc.

Hence the understanding would be sedate and rational, a sober attitude to a problem.

Honesty and integrity. Serious or staid in character or conduct: Sober people refrained from making a judgment until all the facts came out.

Someone who is serious and sensible. A person who is studious and logical are examples of someone who would be described as sober-minded.

Keith.

9. Thanks Natalie Turpin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding it goes seagoing records which were virtually solely for the purpose of reference the Department of trade and Industry for certification referred to sober ie not drunk

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I doubt it related to alcohol as such,
    more to do with capability.
    But that is just my own opinion.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith this is seagoing engineers reference , I have 22 years of them 16 years of that a second engineer I can assure you I know what they are for . Conduct with a separate section and both of the company's used a standard form it was mainly to determine the type of sea time that you had in the engine room
    Last edited by robpage; 11th May 2018 at 08:19 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hence capability ?

K.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast