Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello

Hi, thank you all for your welcome messages. I knew I wouldn't find any from the 1900s but hoped there was someone who had passed on their tales to their families. His son, my uncle, didn't know a lot about it either, he was in the Royal Navy, sadly too late now to ask him if he remembers any tales from his father. I have a couple of later photos of him in uniform, one onboard, he was mainly a stoker so that doesn't sound good, apart from keeping warm. He seemed a very happy man, I can remember he was always laughing when I saw him. Unfortunately he died at 59 so I hadn't known him for many years.

Bye for now
    Maureen
    Last edited by Maureen Knight; 2nd May 2018 at 08:51 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maureen if your quest is for people of the same name as yourself Knight. I know of two in Western Australia who I was on speaking terms with. Although there is no way their own lives would span the early 1900s , and both were from different families there is probably no way they could be related to you unless your leads have led you in this direction. One of them died about 3 years ago and he was ex RAAF the other is still alive and was at a much earlier date either the Chief Warden or Governor of Fremantle prison long before my time coming here to live. I believe he is still alive. Their family history I haven’t a clue. Is only a chance in a million but if don’t ask will never know. Regards JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd May 2018 at 09:21 AM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Maureen Knight liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Ivan a couple of hours ago it was brought home to me how others see us. Was hiring a car from a uk company and they have finally informed me I can’t drive in uk as the insurance for the hire company won’t cover , however my wife who is not yet 80 can drive. So I have cancelled the car. Out here At 80 the Dr. examines you for fitness to drive and is usually at 86 a stricter examination. Hope the public transport is ok in the uk. Talk about feeling old and decrepit. JWS
    ####never fear john i have the old donk .....he is slow but reliable .....just dangle your carrot and he is off like like a north sea greyhound .....40 miles to a truss of hay ......may i recomend cappys hay ....he was spoilt last year by louis the fly .....and wont put his saddle on till eleven in the morning ..something to do with openning time ......we supply the leather helmut and the wafter ...you will need the wafter as he is prone to a bit or should i say a gust of wind ......as you were from the north side i wont charge much for the wafter......but get him booked ..i think louis is missing him......looking foeward to your early reply a small deposit is required which you will get when returning the old donk .....your old mate cappy

6. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob got 1/8d for one of your seaboots before it was discovered you had managed to dodge that big surf board off the Tyne Piers, will send you a postal order for 1/6d. The usual 2d. Commission applies. Will bring my own L plates for the ass that’s what Louis said it was. He said a donkey was a half a horse power and your ass was less than that. Keep the beer cool don’t boil it this time thinking I won’t drink it. Cheers and hope you play that tune Mule Train when I clamber on board. JS.

8. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Maureen if your quest is for people of the same name as yourself Knight. I know of two in Western Australia who I was on speaking terms with.. Regards JWS.
    Hi JWS ? Thanks but it isn't the Knights, good job too, there must be millions! His name was Joseph George Wallis born in Brixton, London, he was my Mum's step father. His son of the same name was in the Royal Navy and funny enough he moved to Perth, WA in the late 70s, sadly died 3 years ago. After looking at my Grandad's record cards and reading his son's letters to me again, I have just realised that he was in both the Merchant and Royal Navy. Have been trying to upload a photo of him in uniform but have an unknown problem at the moment, Regards Maureen

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First name(s) Joseph George
    Last name Wallis
    Event year 1921
    Birth year 1899
    Birth place London
    Birth county/country London
    Birth date 13 Sep 1899
    Discharge number R 185545
    Card type CR2
    Archive The National Archives
    Series BT348
    Date range 1921-1941
    Piece number 1
    Record set Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1918-1941
    Category Education & work
    Subcategory Merchant navy & maritime
    Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th May 2018 at 08:10 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks N/A, Maureen Knight thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sorry, missed today's update.

Doc is as ever on the ball.

I will look ASAP to see if I can assist.

Regards,

Keith.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Maureen Knight liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your help. I should have reminded you I have his CR2 but it's handy to have the printed details, easier to read. Maybe I should have started a new thread? Would you like to see the cards with the names of the ships on? On a new thread or continue here ?

Thanks again
    Maureen

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just continue on here please Maureen
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

18. Thanks Maureen Knight thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It amused me see they had put he was slightly knock-kneed. I wish these had been transcribed, it's hard work reading the dates to see how many years he spent in the Navy.

Is there a file size limit on these images as they are not very clear to read ?

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th May 2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Increse Size to assist reading

20. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast