Thread: Bristol Queen. and the Glen Strathalan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bristol Queen. and the Glen Strathalan

Hello,
    Can anyone help, I am trying to find the steam whistles from the "Bristol Queen " a paddle steamer, and the "Glen Strathalan", a training ship for King Edward V11Nauitcal College.
    my reason is that I have a private collection of ships steam whistles, a hobby that is way out of control.
    I myself am ex Royal Navy, my late father served in the B T C during WW2 he was a engineer, his first ship was the British Faith in1942 he served on many ships .

In 1953 I then was aged 3 sailed with him and my mother on the MV "Vivien Louise", I still remember the trip I have pictures of the crew but no names.

Hope that someone out there can help.

Many thanks.

Rowland H Humble.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Captain Kong, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bristol Queen. and the Glen Strathalan

Welcome Rowland, your not any relation of the Humbles from Lanchester County Durham are you. ? BTC gave up those initials many years ago and now known as BP as you probably are aware. Cheers JWS.

4. Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

65 years ago I had a lovely girl friend in Sharpness whose Home I used to stay in when on leave, Her father, Mr Price was the Chief Engineer on the Bristol Queen, unfortunately all passed on now.
    Cheers
    BRIAN

6. Likes Richard Quartermaine, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Not the Bristol Queen but:

On 18th November 1840, the paddle steamer 'The City of Bristol' was shipwrecked off the Gower Peninsula. She was washed on to Llangennith sands, where her engines can still be seen at low tide. Twenty seven crew and passengers were drowned, although three bullocks and seventy five pigs managed to swim ashore.

Because of its treacherous tides, 250 ships have been wrecked along this coastline over the centuries, prompting the Whiteford Lighthouse to be built in 1865 in an attempt to protect shipping in the seas around Swansea, Llanelli and Burry Port.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rowland,

In your search for the 'steam whistle' of the 'Glen Strathallan' perhaps information at www.promare.co.uk/ships/wrecks/Wk.GlenStrathallan.html
    may be of interest to you. Although the prospect of locating such an item does appear somewhat daunting, you just never know until you try. Good luck with your quest, Rowland.

In 1955-56, as a young fifteen year-old, I served as a 'boy' on the T.S. Arethusa, a four-masted steel barque moored on the River Medway at Upnor, Kent (directly opposite the naval dockyard at Chatham). The 'Arethusa' was part of the Shaftesbury Homes Organisation to which the 'Glen
    Strathallan' had been bequeathed by the very wealthy, R.A. Colby Cubbin, who died in the early 50's. During my time on Arethusa I clearly remember the day when the G.S. was 'delivered' and the huge reception she was given as she came alongside. For 240 young lads, her arrival created a welcome diversion from the everyday routine of life on Arethusa. She remained alongside for several months which afforded ample opportunity for inquisitive young men to explore. Such behaviour was in direct contravention of standing orders and woe-betide anyone who got caught.....as I recall, we never were! Now, more than sixty years later, my memory of the G.S. has dimmed, however there are two things I still recall. The seeming opulence in the owner's state-room, with it's large bed and huge, elegant, mirror affixed to the bulkhead. In sharp contrast to this was the crew's mess-room. A cramped space that barely had room for the table and two benches contained therein. Access to this 'pit' was through a small door on the port-side towards the stern, from where one had to climb hand-over-hand down a narrow, vertical, ladder. Seemingly, any food had to be lowered from the deck which must have been a logistical nightmare in a heavy sea. It is my understanding the Glen Strathallan was later sold on by Shaftesbury Homes although, of this, I cannot be sure.

Incidentally,in 2011, the bell from the 'Glen Strathallan' was sold at auction by Cottees of Wareham for 560.00 pounds.

......Roger

9. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin, Colin Wood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,
    All my fathers family are from the North East, County Durham so I might well be related my father was born in South Bank, served his time at Dorman Long.
    Many thanks.

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks for that, yes I live in hope that the steam whistle will appear, you should try a frigate in a force 10, scran (Dinner) time is a very interesting experience, eat it or wear it?
    Rowland.