Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Port Line Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beautiful Port Line Ships

Hi all ex Port line & Blue Star seafarers.My name is Mike & I grew up in Tasmania & I remember with great fondness the beautiful immaculate Port Line & Blue star line ships alongside at Beauty Point wharves on the Tamar river in Northern Tassie loading fruit for the old country namely apples & pears.tho I was just a teenage boy at the time I went aboard the very stylish Port Nicholson(1962)& other ships such as the Port Launceston & some Blue star ships but time has erased many of the names plus of course the ships themselves are all gone.i went on to serve in the Royal Australia Navy & also worked Bass Strait ferries for a coupla yrs after that then hung up my sea boots having a young family by then..Michael T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beautiful Port Line Ships

Hello Michael T
    Yes those Ships were rather lovely with their graceful lines ,also ones that I recall of course are the Union Castle Ships,also lovely ones ,especially the smaller ones that carried Fruit etc! But the large Liners too were to me magnificent! Seeing and working on them in the 50's ,they always looked so good alongside in Cape Town and other Ports like Southampton,London etc!
    Thanks for the post and for joining!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I joined the Port St. Lawrence we were told before signing on it was going to be a long trip , anyone was free to walk away without repercussions from the Pool.
    A new company was formed named Atlas Line to break into the Far East trade. The red funnel was changed to blue and Atlas Line painted on the hull.
    At the Japanese ports parties were held for business people and local dignitaries with Japanese waitresses employed to serve them.
    It was a good , happy trip running between the Far East and Oz and Kiwi.

Port Line ships were the most beautiful , stylish ships on the Oz , Kiwi run , the single berth accommodation far better than other companies of the time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, what happen to the port line can any one tell me please.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Louis, Google Port Line Ships, there is a wealth of information on the company.
    Regards
    Vic

6. Likes Richard Quartermaine, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any of you are on FaceBook, check out the "All at sea" face book page. Some really good photos of Port Line and Blue Star Ships.
    rgds
    JA

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, thomas michael, mike lowe thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mick, did 7 years o Port Boats, good times. then did 3 years on Beaver Boats, only did one month trips then,
    a change from 6 month plus trips, photo of Port Adelaide whilst alongside in Hobart.Port Adelaide.jpg

this was in 1952
    Last edited by Frederick Lacey; 4th June 2017 at 08:44 PM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a site showing a Pc of my first Ship "Dunnottar Castle" crossing with the Durban Castle ,this was my first trip as well,and I was aboard at this exact time ,remember it so well.

DURBAN CASTLE the evocative picture above was taken of the DUNNOTTAR CASTLE (1936) as seen from the DURBAN CASTLE between Ascension Island and St. Helena in the South Atlantic on July 19th 1958. DUNNOTTAR CASTLE was homeward bound on her last voyage as a Union-Castle liner. Amazing that this Picture is still available after so many Years! Good Memories
    Scroll down page !

UNION-CASTLE LINE
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Fred the Adelaide looks spicky not a mark or streak on her plates..i went aboard the S.S Oriana on one of her visits to Hobart I had a old ex Royal Australian Navy shipmate working as a Fridgy(A/C Refrigerators etc)& was impressed with the timber work on her as apposed to Naval ships which have none & the ferries I worked on.i feel for you folks in the U.K.with the bloody terrorist attacks being carried out my wife & I spent some time in Europe plus time in the U.K in 2015 & found folks just wanted to live peacefully as we do here..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, Hi Doc vernon, I was given some buttons {port line} which I have put on my New blazer as I was never on a port line ship ,I wanted to know some history of the shipping company and the crew who sailed on them fine ships, My old shipmate Laurie r.i.p.was on the port phillip {war time} as a boy he agreed with you they were the best ships. I have spread the word about your cinnamon/honey a good way to help control diabetes.

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast