Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Beautiful Port Line Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beautiful Port Line Ships

Hi Michael,
    I agree they were beautiful ships. I was lucky enough to sail on the Port Nicholson for almost all of 1975 and we berthed in Hobart for apples. As it was a late harvest that year in Tasmania we were there for 8 weeks and had a great time. One of my shipmates (who became a life long friend) fell for a local girl from Hobart and married her in 1978 and settled in Aussie. I came back to Hobart and worked at the Risdon Zinc works fro about 6 months. Finally i visited again this year 2018 after 40 years on my retirement tour of Aussie and Kiwi. More later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dex
    Derek Bates
    Deck
    R896650

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Port Townsville to Oz as catering boy.

I turned-to just before lunch service in the service area (forgot the correct name) to find the room full of steam, condensation dripping from the deck-head and we were crossing the equator. "What assh%$# did this?", "Come out on deck and call me that." answered the deck boy

Which I did, and landed a couple of good ones before the bosun broke it up and gave us both a right Bol*&$#ing.

We later arrived in Hobart. I had heard that the deck boy had drawn overtime pay and bought a ring to propose to a girl. I heard a girl call out the name Beverly. I thought it was a girl I had dated there on my previous visit on the Port Jackson named Beverly. I called out and a girl walks into my cabin. I yarn with her, realize it's the deck boys girl. Being a gentleman I congratulate her on her engagement. In no uncertain terms she said it wasn't going to happen. Well then, I started to chat her up. We agreed to meet at the 7HT radio station dance that night. I had a great time dancing and a kiss and a cuddle up an alley and that was it, back to the ship and we sailed for Beauty Point.

We arrive early in the morning, tie up, and the quartermaster comes in my room, wakes me and my room mate up to tell me there's two girls on the dock asking for me. Out I go, and it's Beverly and another girl named Dawn.

They went up to the Hotel and after breakfast I got a day visitor pass. We were there three days, the girls stayed on board in our room. I got more visitors passes. we made them a toilet out of a waste paper bin and they got showers in the very early a.m., food was no problem.

Its funny, I remember the girls names, but can't remember my cabinmate's name (he was with Dawn).

Never spoke to the deck boy, however, it was common knowledge amongst the crew that they were on board.

Sixty-four years later and I still think of Beauty Point fondly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice photo of Port Adelaide. I was 4/O on her in 1966.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Port line and City line ships were of the classic design of what we knew as ships.
    Would often see some in Cape Town harbor looking clean cut and ready to sail.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the Port line ships that i saw during 60's and start of 70's were VERY good looking vessels with great design and beautiful shaped hulls and so were most of the castle ships.
    Those were the days when ships looked like ships should.
    Then along came the containers and that was it !!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadly for many of us designs have change with the time and needs.
    Bit like buildings, the old ones look so good and full of character, where as some of the new ones are nothing but ugly but serve the needs of todays society.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Dennis McGuckin, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike
    I was just trawling through some posts and came across yours. Lucky you growing up in Tasmania! I was a crew member with Port Line in the late 1960's and 70's aboard the Port Launceston; Port Nelson; Port Melbourne and Port Wellington; You may recall these names. I spent a lot of time in Sydney, Freemantle, Melbourne, Darwin, Townsville, Cairns; Adelaide and of course Tasmania, Hobart which I remember well as it was a lovely place to visit - very friendly, peaceful and scenic. We mainly loaded apples in Hobart and I think maybe wool as a deck cargo we loaded lamb in other Australian ports as our ships had refrigerated compartments. In some cases we had to load the cargo ourselves as the dockers were on strike! Port Line ships were particularly well bult and had graceful lines and in general they were happy ships with good crews and good food (which always helps).I can't recall if we ever berthed near George Town but it is quite likely. I was lucky to miss a terrific cyclone that struck Darwin just before Christmas in 1974 when I was on the BP Tanker, British Wye; I left the ship to fly home to the UK via Singapore 12 hours before the storm struck it severley damaged planes at the airport and closed most of Darwin down. I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was also on that trip autumn 1967, I have a photo of the ship with Atlas sign on the side. I was 7th engineer, great to hear from others. Dave Hocking

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6