Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Port Line Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beautiful Port Line Ships

Hi Michael.
    Welcome to the site. I never sailed on any Port line ships, or Star boats, but used to admire their lines. There were so many beautiful ships in the 50s and 60s and I remember on my trips around the Aussie coast the various ports were full of them mainly loading or discharging from the UK, it's a pity that the old country let us down by joining the EU, but alas those days are now gone. I spent a lot of time around the Aussie and NZ coasts but never ever got to Tasmania.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Port Line Sailings: 1947 MV Lowlander (Ex Leme Italian war prize) Captain E. E. Rosswell, Chief steward Newcastle NSW to Halifax via Panama, NS Mr Hardaker - Halifax, NS to Melbourne via Cape Town Mr Deverill.

!949/50 MV Port Saint John Capts Rolland Hill, Lavers and Morgan. Chief Steward J Rutherford, 2nd Steward E F Jones.
    1950 MV Port Dunedin Capt D F Morgan, Chief Steward J Rutherford, 2nd Steward Roy Bleach

Here's photos including Lowlander crew and link to Port Dunedin photo
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/averheijden/2203771834
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Richard Quartermaine;263803]My Port Line Sailings: your pictures are always interesting richard you sure must have some stock ....regards cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th June 2017 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all ex Port line & Blue Star seafarers.My name is Mike & I grew up in Tasmania & I remember with great fondness the beautiful immaculate Port Line & Blue star line ships alongside at Beauty Point wharves on the Tamar river in Northern Tassie loading fruit for the old country namely apples & pears.tho I was just a teenage boy at the time I went aboard the very stylish Port Nicholson(1962)& other ships such as the Port Launceston & some Blue star ships but time has erased many of the names plus of course the ships themselves are all gone.i went on to serve in the Royal Australia Navy & also worked Bass Strait ferries for a coupla yrs after that then hung up my sea boots having a young family by then..Michael T

Hi Michael.
    I was in Beauty Point in 1955 on Shaw Saville's SUEVIC,
    We arrived on a Sunday morning and in those days we had to work 8 hours and no overtime.
    The Captain told us to work down the Cargo Holds to prepare them for the Wharfies starting work on Monday morning.
    Now that job, was classed as a Shore Job by the Wharfies Union, so any work by the Crew had to be paid Shore Rates of pay. We earned £1 a day then and shore rates of pay was £1, 2 shillings and 6d an hour on a Sunday, = to Nine Days pay for one hour to us.
    We refused and the Captain wanted us to be charged with Mutiny and called Police.
    So I phoned the Wharfies Union and the boss came down as well,
    In the end, the Police didn't have enough cells to put the crew in so the Union Man told us to work and they would go on strike for us.
    Next day, Monday, the Wharves were silent, Not one Wharfie in sight. The Captain was going demented,
    He said NO SUBS, [no money]so we were in the Beauty Point Hotel and the boss there said, "If you paint my hotel inside and out you will be on free Beer for the duration." So every night into the paint locker and smuggled the paint and brushes etc ashore and we did a good job inside and out,
    So for Six weeks the Captain could not understand how we came back every night drunk as skunks. Officers were banned from the pub so they didn't know we were paining it.
    There was a dance every Saturday in the village Hall opposite the Pub, one shilling to go in, Some nice girls in there and we danced to the music from a man playing a Piano.
    One Saturday night the man was across the road in the Pub drunk and refused to come out to play. So the man who organised the dance said "Can you whistle? "
    we said yes. "So take your partners for a Mambo," We whistled all together "Hey Mambo , Mambo Italiano........" and danced, at the end of each dance we all clapped. quite a good evening.
    After six weeks the Company must have sorted it out, we got the pay for that Sunday, the strike was over and we loaded the Apples. from there we sailed to Melbourne and the Captain was relieved and a new Captain joined.
    So always had fond memories of Beauty Point. Lovely place.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Brian that's quite a story you have,tho I live on the central Qld coast these days near the Tropic of Capricorn I visit Tassie regularly & I can assure you the Beauty Point pub is still there & trading tho much revamped these days & so is the Beauty Point Wharves but now are part of the Australian Maritime College & basically a private berthing area for their vessels plus other Govt boats & ships of varying sizes.the old hall you wrote about I remember well as a teenager in the 60ts I went there to the modern rock & old time dances & is still standing tho if it's used I wouldn't know,I remember well I picked up two guys hitching a ride from Beaconsfield(mine disaster fame)back to their ship the Port Nicholson(1962)& I had a hd Holden car automatic & it was the first auto vehicle they had ever seen & they invited me & a mate aboard the ship & we got very drunk with the crew that night.the inspection head wharves are still in use but mainly by Bass Strait oil & gas rig tender vessels,container berths have been built across the river at Bell Bay so the Bass Strait Ro.Ro freight ferries plus the overseas container & bulk ships all work outa there now & it's all rush rush turn the ship around asap.as always change is as certain as taxes.the beautiful Tamar valley has only a handful of apple orchards still growing fruit most have all changed over to vineyards or market gardens etc but the valley is still rich area in terms of produce..again thanks for the very interesting post Michael T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

B P H.JPG

Capture Hotel.jpg

Not sure would this be the same Hotel ? The Postcard says yes?
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you google the Beauty Point waterfront hotel shipmates you will find the much changed pub..cheers to all Michael T

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Michael, not too sure where Beauty point is, my rememberance of pubs in cairns around the waterfront was nick named the Barbary Coast in the old days. It was 1800 closing time in those days. If you attended the Launceston College you may have known my cousin one of the lecturers there. I was over for new year think it was 1998 and he lived in Launceston not too far from the river. We spent New years eve at the house of the Principle an ex navy man he also lived in a house by the riverside. Bill Sabourn my cousin after about 20 years at the college decided to go back to UK and both him and his wife died 3 or 4 years ago. Got taken around the College and noticed on the mock up of a ships bridge with all the fancy gear, they still had the old hand leadline stuck in the corner though, also sailed out here with a chief engineer who used to do part time lecturing when on leave he was into motorbikes and was a member of one of the bikie gangs think his name was Bill Clark but could be wrong. Found Tasmania in parts just like the UK was 50 years ago. No resemblance today however apart from such names as windermere, cardiff etc etc. There is also a place think either in Victoria or NSW called North Shields saw it once signposted from a bus window when going out to a heli pad. Cheers JWS

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank for your post Michael,
    In 1955 Beauty Point really was a Beauty Point, just a lovely nice quiet village, we were the only ship in there all that time. all along the port side of the river coming in was all orchards, No traffic on the roads, you could stagger across without looking and nothing would hit you.
    But I always remember the dance in the Hall , on a good night we danced to the music from the Piano, but when he was drunk we had to whistle the tune and dance to it, very unusual but good fun for all.
    There were No "ladies of the night" there, just very nice country girls. of all the many hundreds of ports I have ever been to, I always had fond memories of Beauty Point of 62 years ago.
    Cheers
    .Brian
    Thanks Vernon for the pictures, I have saved them , Looks very busy tho`.
    Cheers
    Brian

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast