Thread: David Allen - Warsash 1968/9 - Bibby Line 1970/73 - Shell Coastal Tankers UK 1973/87

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default David Allen - Warsash 1968/9 - Bibby Line 1970/73 - Shell Coastal Tankers UK 1973/87

Does anyone remember my late brother Dave?

It would be great to receive some anecdotes about his Merchant Navy life as I'd like to put a website together about him.

Aged 18, Dave trained at Warsash in about 1968 and joined Bibby Line immediately after, I think he served on the MV Warwickshire and possibly the MV Shropshire in the very early 1970s. I'm pretty sure he reached 2nd Mate with Bibby Line.

By the mid 70s he'd left Bibby and served Shell BP coastal tankers, he moved to Shell UK Coastal Tankers when the two companies split. Dave became Captain on these tankers.

Dave sadly died in March 1987 from a brain haemorrhage which happened aboard his ship, possibly the MT Shell Supplier at Portslade, East Sussex. He was married and had one daughter - she was only 4 when she lost her Dad and I'd like to put the site together for her.

Many thanks,

Mark Allen
    Last edited by markallen; 14th August 2009 at 11:04 PM.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave.
    I would just like to welcome you to this site. Im sorry to hear your sad tale about your brother, and i think its a fantastic idea you have. Im sure the lads will come up with the goods for you.If you could list and date his ships, and give his discharge book numberif you know it . that would help you in your quest. Good luck
    Geoff
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Gulliver Guest

Default Dave Allen

Hi Mark,and a Very Warm Welcome to this site! I agree with Geoff,it's a very nice idea to remember your brother in that way.
    He would be my age now,and how tragic for your family, and especially his immediate loved ones for Dave to die in his mid-thirties......
    I too joined Bibby Line late 69,serving my time until late 72. (Derbyshire,Staffordshire,Shropshire,Worcestershir e and Dart America). I didn't sail with your brother,but knew his name,as he was obviously another Deck Cadet or 3rd Mate then. Unfortunately,I lost nearly all my crew lists and voyage logs a few years ago,and have to rely on memory.! (They would have shown where your brother was serving during those years.)
    However,take heart as I know a few other Bibby men of the early 70's look in on the site from time to time,and may well know of Dave's time there.

As Geoff says listing his ships and years may well assist others in remembering.

Best Regards,Mark
    Davey S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!

Hello Mark,
    Well like the previous,i to would like to welcome you to this most illustrious site! Here you will find a lot of good Info,and a few laughs along the way!
    I am sure given a wee bit of time someone will come up with good news for you!
    I too am so sorry to hear about your Brother passing on,and can relate to loosing a Brother at a young age! Mine to at 36 great tradgedy!
    Anyway Mark take Heart mate,its hard i know but well i suppose life goes on!
    Hope we will see a few more posts from you in the future!
    Thanks for joining!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you gentelmen for such a speedy response and warm welcome.

I'll need to get my family to put their thinking caps on, my parents have kept his letters from his Bibby days which should help with dates. Dave's wife should be able to provide his Shell history. I've also got some photographs which include the Bibby ships he served.

Many thanks again,

Mark

Gulliver Guest

Default Shell Tankers

Hi Mark,you may possibly know this,but with regards to your brothers time in Shell,there is a website called Helderline which has photos including some from the Coastal Fleet.
    Link here:
    http://www.helderline.nl/tankers/

And in fact I've uploaded an example of the m.t.Shell Supplier for you.
    Best regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Gulliver,

Thank you for your help, I had already come across the site and emailed Trevor Stringer who was Master of the Explorer until 1982. Unfortunately, I've not had a reply from him yet.

I've just looked at a letter Dave sent to me posted from Stanlow on 21st March 1987 (just 10 days before he died), it is clearly marked Shell Supplier. There are no crew listed for this ship on Helderline's web site.

I've just added my name for contact regarding Dave
    http://www.helderline.nl/tanker/245/...plier+%282%29/

Many thanks again,

Mark
    Last edited by markallen; 14th August 2009 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Just joined to pass on this picture of Shell Supplier. It was taken by my brother Frank Cassidy in 1989. The location is Bay Road River Foyle Londonderry and the picture is posted with his permission and may be freely copied by any members.

http://www.nonags.org/members/saitek1/img607.jpg

Cheers,
    Greenockwebcam.

Gulliver Guest

Hi Greenockwebcam;-I know I've finally gone mad,talking to a Webcam now!-
    Welcome Aboard,and thank you for taking the trouble to post that photo of your brother's.
    Hope you continue to look in and contribute to the site if you feel like it-you're very welcome.
    All the Best!

Gulliver

P.S. for Brian or Vernon reading in:- Would you please consider moving this thread into the Bibby Line Forum,as it relates to David Allen,ex-Bibby Line staff.It is more likely to be read there.Thank You!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dave Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Hi Mark,and a Very Warm Welcome to this site! I agree with Geoff,it's a very nice idea to remember your brother in that way.
    He would be my age now,and how tragic for your family, and especially his immediate loved ones for Dave to die in his mid-thirties......
    I too joined Bibby Line late 69,serving my time until late 72. (Derbyshire,Staffordshire,Shropshire,Worcestershir e and Dart America). I didn't sail with your brother,but knew his name,as he was obviously another Deck Cadet or 3rd Mate then. Unfortunately,I lost nearly all my crew lists and voyage logs a few years ago,and have to rely on memory.! (They would have shown where your brother was serving during those years.)
    However,take heart as I know a few other Bibby men of the early 70's look in on the site from time to time,and may well know of Dave's time there.

As Geoff says listing his ships and years may well assist others in

remembering.

Best Regards,Mark
    Davey S.
    I sailed on the Staffordshire in the 69 to 70 and was onboard when captain Shelley died, was an engineer at the time my name is Arthur Talbot and ran about with another engineer called wally that was his nickname,yes we did have a couple of cadets with us.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post