Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dave Newton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dave Newton

I recently posted re;the passing of a mate of mine Alan Winter who was on that run with Fishers for many years until his retirement about 10 years ago.Peter Chard followed up on my post telling of his brothers experience as an engineer on one of Fishers on the same run.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its amazing at times what one remembers and a word can trigger it off. However a lot of the time it is on the wrong track. In the dim recesses of time remember relieving someone on a North Sea Supply vessel and this would have been after 1978. He had been employed as such with Nuclear waste. Then again think there was an offshore platform Kingsnorth UK, so the two may have got intertwined, in the memory banks. When we had all our facilities Eyes Ears Head Strength teeth it was great. Now like Cappy have only sex to keep me going. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd April 2016 at 09:41 AM.

4. Likes Jim Brady, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James Fisher and sons of Barrow in Furness are still going strong.
    https://www.james-fisher.com/
    They brought out P and O tankships, which were previously Rowbothams and also Fred Everards.
    The Kingsnorth Fisher was specially built to transport huge power station transformers and I used to see it often laying by in Ellesmere Port between jobs.
    The Fisher Nuclear transport ships carry waste from Japan and other countries to Sellafield for reprocessing there and are as far as I am aware, the only U.K. ships to be permantley armed with machine guns and carry Royal Marines when transporting the nuclear waste.
    They are now owned by PNT (Pacific Nuclear Transport) and manned and operated by Serco Marine out of there offices in Barrow in Furness.
    Fishers up till recently (and possibly even now) were the largest ship owners operating under the U.K. flag. They are even in Australia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fisher_%26_Sons
    rgds
    JA

6. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A, j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on The Noth Devon in 1965Think I was pantry boy and assistant steward.Was a good little ship,and enjoyed my time on board.Was in Belfast and the chief steward asked me to stay on for another trip.Had asked if I could have a couple of days off before signing on again as Iwanted to nip across home(Ayr) to see girlfriend.Chief said it would be ok,but skipper said no,so I signed off.Was a mistake as I fell out with girl, and wished I had stayed on the ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dad was on 2 of these ships

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2