Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello

Hi,

This is probably an unusual thread. I was baptised on board the Benhope in 1965, in Singapore. I have a bible and a wonderful gold crucifix. The latter is engraved on the back, Benhope - and my father told me both were gifts from the crew. There are a fair number of photographs of my christening, with crew visible. I'm wondering if anyone on here was with the ship at that time? I'm guessing the month would have been about October, or possibly into the start of 1966. My dad was chaplain with Merchant Navy at that time, Peter Marshall.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello

Welcome Boo (that's unusual in itself)

Yes indeed something quite different but rather interesting,I hope that there may be someone who would possibly recall that,as its it unusual!
    Hope besides this you will enjoy this great site,it has much to offer!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you.

Really sadly, my father died very suddenly and unexpectedly at home less than a week after I opened this thread. I had told him I'd registered on this site, and he was so excited. I'd promised to make some time to show it to him, so he could spend some time looking around, perhaps remembering other people. His death announcement is here.

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Graham Payne thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear your sad news, words are never adequate, but you can be sure of this crews sympathy. Please remain with us, as there may be people on here who were on the vessel and would love to know how you are getting on

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Marshall View Post
    Hi,

This is probably an unusual thread. I was baptised on board the Benhope in 1965, in Singapore. I have a bible and a wonderful gold crucifix. The latter is engraved on the back, Benhope - and my father told me both were gifts from the crew. There are a fair number of photographs of my christening, with crew visible. I'm wondering if anyone on here was with the ship at that time? I'm guessing the month would have been about October, or possibly into the start of 1966. My dad was chaplain with Merchant Navy at that time, Peter Marshall.
    Hi,
    My name is Dave Scott and I remember your baptism I was fourth engineer on board the Benhope at the time. We took your mother and father as passengers out to Singapore about 1964 and in them days it took about 6 weeks to get to Singapore. On our return trip we had your baptism on board and wet the babies head unfortunately I dont have any photos of the accasion and would be obliged if you could forward some of your photos and I will send some of the ship to you my email is daveyscott@hotmail.com
    Thanks and good talking
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi my name is dave scott and i was at your baptism in Singapore as I was an engineer on the benhope if you have any photo of your baptism would it be pssible to send them to me at daveyscott@hotmail.com

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post