Thread: Ex Shell Tanker man says "hello" to everyone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ex Shell Tanker man says "hello" to everyone

My name is Robin Ellis and I have just joined this forum. Hope to be able to catch up with old ship mates who must still be around (I hope).

I started with Shell Tankers as an Eng Cadet at Polar Technical College in London in 1971 and completed my cadetship in 1975.

Sailed on: Hindsia (1973) Hinea (1974) Acavus (1974) as cadet

Partula, Halia, Methane Princess and Latia as Fifth Engineer

Changed to OOCL and sailed on the Flinders Bay as Third Officer (Engineering)

Came back to Shell, passed my Seconds ticket and sailed as Third Engineer on the Acavus in 1979/80.

Can't give exact dates as my first wife destroyed my discharge book, seaman's card and second's ticket plus many other things.

Left the sea to work with the CEGB, ended up as a nuclear engineer, got fed up and emigrated to Argentina and now I own and work on a vineyard in the Andes, close to the border with Chile.

If anyone can remember me, please drop me a line or post on this site.

Thanks,

Robin

Tony Morcom Guest

Smile Welcome

Welcome to the site Robin. Many thanks for stopping by to fill in your details. I wonder just how many seamen have lost their paperwork as a result of their first wife's callousness. I know I lost loads of photos and mementos but
    luckily my discharge book etc were kept in a safe to which she did not have the key Anyway Robin you seem to have survived and have certainly lived a very varied life. I am sure many on here will envy your current lifestyle in what must be one of the more beautiful parts of the world. I hope that you will find much on here to entertain you and that we will see you involved in some of the discussions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Robin/Partula

Hi Robin, were you eng, on the 'Partula. when she broke down off the North Devon coast with turbine problems. I was sent out on my tug the 'Edengarth' to stand by her, and if neccessary tow her to Barry. When I reached her, she was anchored off Minehead. Some 6-8 hours later she managed to get under weigh, and still under instructions to 'stand by' she took me on a merry chase around the Bristol Channel and going so fast, she left me miles behind her.
    Still, it was a day out for us, and we were amply rewarded!!
    Regards to you, and HAPPY CHRISTMAS,
    Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome Robin.
    Enjoy as we do and gives your stories.
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Edengarth Tug

Hi Colin
    The honest answer is "I'm not sure, but quite possibly"

I would have been a 5th Eng on her mid to late 1976 and yes, we had main gearbox troubles at one stage.
    I can remember being on watch with the 3rd Eng (12:00 to 16:00). We took over watch to find the 2nd Eng and Chief had removed 2 gearbox covers only to find a slightly damaged gear wheel. I know we spent the whole watch inspecting gear teeth trying not to trap our hands - even with the engines at stop, the way on the ship was turning the turbines.

We took various oil samples as it was suspected that we had bacterial contamination of the oil (unusual and that's why I remember this).
    The next watch put the covers back on and I stayed on until 18:00 helping write the "engineroom movement book" whilst we got underway at various speeds while the Chief and 2nd listened all around the gearbox.
    All was pronounced OK for the time being and we departed, possibly for Venezuela.

I did not know we had called out a tug, but being in the engineroom I often did not know what was going on up top. Terrible thing to say, but true!

So, quite possibly, we have met. And if it was you, then "Nice to see you again" and if you are out this way we can have a drink or two and reminisce.
    If not, then if you are out this way we can have a drink or two

Robin