Thread: New member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face New member

Hello everyone I would like to say what a great site this is ... I look forward to investigating further... The main reason for joining is a love of the sea and all things nautical. My late father was in the merchant navy, a time in his life he adored and spoke fondly of. Sadly my father died a number of years ago, however I remember stories he told. I am going to be a father and would love to pass on the stories to my child... It would be great if I could do some research too for myself also... So any ideas or advice ? My father was Charles Leonard Skingsley from Newcastle upon Tyne . I sadly don't have any service records... He would of been at sea from the late 1940's.... Thanks in advance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome to the site Glen.
    Hope you find the info you seek
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His CRS-10 service file if it has survived should be held at The National Archives at Kew in the Fifth Register of Seamans service 1941 to 1972.

These records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include: Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.

His file should be in BT 382/2902 covering the surnames "Skeffington N D to Skinner W G"

Unless you can visit Kew in person, it can be quite expensive to obtain these files as the are held in block and Kew will charge for the use of their own researchers.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Gulliver Guest

Default Welcome!

Welcome porthole.gifWelcome Aboard,Glen,and hope you will enjoy your time reading and joining in the forums here,whilst you are researching your Dad's details.
    There are others far more experienced at researching people than me ,but as a contribution I can offer the following possibility for you:-

There is a reference in those National Archive records,in B372/1610/ 14 for a SKINGSLEY L. ,Newcastle, 16/4/30 with Seamen's Discharge Book No . R 583520.

Best Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Thank you

That must be my dad as it is his date of birth. Thank you so much for the info...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thank you

Thanks for such a quick response .... I only wished I had listened to dads stories more often ... Thanks again

Gulliver Guest

Default I only wished..

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Skingsley View Post
    Thanks for such a quick response .... I only wished I had listened to dads stories more often ... Thanks again
    Thanks Glen.That is always the case,ask anyone aboard here.My dad didn't go to sea( he was a Royal Marine,then a policeman) but I often wish I had listened more to him about his life story.Now,I wish I could still ask him about certain things...

All the Best
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The file BT372 is what is known as a Seaman's Pouch and are hit and miss depending on what documents have survived. They do not detail a persons sea service, but usually a copy of their ID card, usually with photograph. The file you need to search for the ships he served on are in BT382.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good Luck in your quest Glen.

You will find if there is any help in your quest required just post it here this is the most helpful M.N. Site on the net. You may even find someone who sailed with your father. Once you establish some of his ship,s etc the rest will follow as best can be expected Regards Geordie Boy Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Cheers

Thanks for that ..... My dad would of loved this site... I am trying to find out as much as I can in my free time... I am lucky as I work in North Shields and get to see the ships using the Tyne..