Thread: Clan MacDonald July 1942

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clan MacDonald July 1942

I have attached 3 images given to me by my mother about a year ago. This is my father Robert P McLean (a.k.a.) Maclean. He was the 7th Engineer on the Clan MacDonald in 1942. He contracted smallpox about 2 weeks after these photos were taken in Bombay India. I have an 'unclassified' file from the National Archives of Australia which includes details of how the outbreak of smallpox occured, (Dennis Barrington a 17 year old wireless operator was taken off the Clan MacDonald in Freemantle in mid July and my father showed signes of smallpox a few days later and was taken off the ship at Portsea August 8, 1942. He rejoined the Clan MacDonald after he recovered from smallpox at the North Head Quarantine Station in Sydney Australia and arrived back in Scotland in December 1942. I would be happy to scan and post the crews list and other interesting information from the file. My father passed away in March 1989 and I wish I had listened more carefully to his stories. I visited Australia December 2011 and have several interesting photos.
    I am hoping that some family members of the other men in the photo may come across this post and communicate with me.
    This is my first post in a long time ...looking forward to communicating with members.

Cathy
    Attached Images Attached Images