Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Grandfathers History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hugh

Thank you, I dont have any idea how to obtain his service record to be honest. I am new to this and have no experience of this sort of stuff, I ahve been amazed at the information returned so far.

Im my original post there is an image of a Pink card which seems to be a port pass for New York of some sorts then Ray posted
    "There was a Frank George Elliott age 25 with 1 ½ years service when signing on the “King Edgar” as Deck Hand (DEMS) 16th May 1942 in Cardiff
    The ship arrived in New York on the 11th October 1942 having sailed from Cape Town South Africa 7th September 1942 the personal details match the info given
    It is possible that he was on the ship at a later date and would be recorded on the ships official crew agreement.
    The official No for the “ King Edgar” is 149947, the last crew agreement (if survived) should be in the TNA Kew in piece BT 381/3427 you would have to ask for the last agreement
    "

It seems he arrived in New York on the 11th October and was still there on the 16th October.

From the back of the document in the big image it seems he was in Argentina at least three times in 1943, once in April 1943 and once in October 1943 with a faded date in between.

I find all this truly fascinating and really appreciate the help and information people have given on here
    Last edited by steve elliott; 23rd August 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Steve,
    With regard to your dad's service record, have a look at this link and follow the guides. As your dad is still alive he is able to apply for his records free of charge. Download the Subject Access Request form and then fill it in with appropriate identification and send it to Brown St, Glasgow - full address is on the link. Ministry of Defence | Freedom of Information | How to make an official request under FOI | Requests for Access to Personal Data Held by the Ministry of Defence

As said previously there may or may not be information about his sea-time. However, I have in the past seen Maritime Regiment gunner's records which do state the names of the ships so please when you apply ask for a photocopy and not a transcript and also ask for his Maritime Card.

If you need further advice just ask.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile History

Hi, At 63 years of age I was not around for the war but what an interesting piece of history you have shown us. Thank you for that..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to everyone that has given me information or read this post, I am truly indebted to those that have given me an insight into my Grandfathers History and where to maybe find out some more.

If anyone has any other information I would truly appreciate it and i will speak to my Dad tomorrow and pass the information on.

Thanks again
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2