Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: watts watts

Gulliver Guest

Default Putney and Mortlake..

Starting and Finishing Points of the Boat Race !

I know ,in the interests of accuracy that Ivan won't mind me correcting some info about the motor vessels Putney and Mortlake..

The 2 vessels were not the Cardiffbrook or Warwickbrook,although one of them was the Windsorbrook.

(1) BALMORAL QUEEN (1,423 grt) (O.N. 168594)

started out as RAMBLER ROSE built 7/54 by John Lewis,Aberdeen for Hughes Holden Sg.Co,Swansea.
    1961 to O.Dorey & Sons.Ltd,Guernsey.Renamed BELVEDERE
    1965 to Watts Watts(Britain SS) Renamed PUTNEY,then in the same year BALMORAL QUEEN
    1968 Owners stated as Eskgarth Sg.Co,London.
    1969 Sold to a succession of Greek and Cypriot owners.First rename was SOLEN…
    Broken Up Limassol 1980

(2) WINDSOR QUEEN (1,036 grt) O.N. 187479)
    Started out as WINDSORBROOK built 11/56 by Bodewes G & H,Martenshoek,Netherlands for Williamstown Sg.Co.Ltd,London.
    1963 Sold to Wm.France,Fenwick.Renamed NORDGAS
    1965 Renamed LOCKWOOD
    1965 To Watts,Watts.Renamed MORTLAKE
    1966 Renamed WINDSOR QUEEN
    1969 Sold to Finnish owners,renamed WALLONA,then to Greeks,then to Honduran owners.
    Deleted from registry 1994.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Watts Watts

No objection at all Gulliver, it was from memory, I know I did the purchase surveys on them on behalf of WW/CL, but looking after 22 ships and surveying others over a period of time, things tend to go awry, so my apologies to Tony (W) for any misleading information.

Pickfords lost most of my notes, records, photos etc during one of my periodic moves (no computers then for backup) it was in the 60's and 70's, that's a long time ago!

CL managed for many companies including Esgarths,Hargreaves and others but all sailed under the CL banner but not names or funnels

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re photos

i have a photo of mortlake, but cant upload it. it says its bitmap, needs to be jpg, have downsized it but cant convert to jpg, ? tony, w.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re mortlake

i managed to convert it, mv mortlake.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What fate befell Conmben Longstaffs? Sailed on Mendip Prince - good little runner down the Med.

Minstrel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Comben Longstaff

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    What fate befell Conmben Longstaffs? Sailed on Mendip Prince - good little runner down the Med.

Minstrel
    Its a long story, CL was sold to Consolidated Gold Fields (CGF) in the 1960's the company started to reduce its fleet in 1980 and got into bed with amongst others Ropners, Everards and the ships were integrated with the Everards fleet, but retained the "Brook" names and served in the Falklands conflict,
    The last of the Brook names disappeared about 1991.

It was one of the better coasting and middle trade company's that diverted into deep sea, and perhaps that was its undoing, only my opinion

Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was surprised to see the "Queen ships " were managed by WW I was on the Celtic Queen during the later part of 57 and always thought it was "Queenship Navigation Co" still these are the little snippets that keep us interested ........ a school mate of mine did a couple of trips as a cadet with WW likely late 50,s early 60,s left and joined the army !!!!!he was an the Wanstead & Wendover I think ????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile able seaman jim dolan

just seeing the name watts watts brings back happy memorries, i sailed on the windsor in july 1962 it was trip to remember.::

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Woodford

Hi Tony, I was on the MV Woodford I think in 1953, maybe early 1954. Very modern ship for it's day. Electricc winches, steel roller hatch covers etc, great galley and mess areas along with a kind of recreation area down the port side from where the deck crews accommodation was to the mess
    Yes they did have single cabins but not for all the crew, I was a JOS and shared with 2 others. My first trip was to Montreal in the middle of winter then down the St Lawrence to either Port arthur or Port Alfred, too long ago now so memory is not so good. Second trip was to Australia via Canary Islands and Capetown. Did most of the ports in Australia but I do remember that we were in Sydney for the 2nd time when the Queen sailed in on the Gothic. That was March 1954, I think we had to wait until the Gothic berthed before we could enter.
    Great Ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default watts watts

HELLO FRANK, Yes great ships, i was on the Wanstead, 1961 i think, my Father was Chief Steward on the Woodford on maiden voyage. we did Canada and Great Lakes then to Mediterrean , Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Syria, then back to Canada and USA, Montreal so cold in winter, we were wearing sweaters down the Engine Room, some photos of Woodford enclosed, WOODFORD_471.jpgWOODFORD.jpgWOODFORD1950.jpg click on them to enlarge.
    Tony Wilding

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast