Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Kawatiri
    Navua
    Waikiri
    Kaiwroa ?
    Hi Ajay.
    I was on these. Kurow,Waimate,Waipori, Karitane, Kaimai, , Konui, Kaiapoi, Konini, Kawerau, Karu. and the Calm.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Green Machines

I was on Wiamea Kaitoki Kawerau Katea Kaituna Ligar Bay Parera and before all that the Wahine, before it sank of course. Glenn in Oz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coastal

Hi Ajay. And Glen
    What years were you on the coast?
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Green Machines

I was on 66 to 68, went back deep sea and returned to the coast 1970 to 1972, Pincher Martin was the Head Honcho, until a guy called Bluey Morgan took over, I never liked him, I thought he sold us out, Pincher was a good guy, and you could talk to him and have a beer with him, when Peter Ables of T.N.T. took over Union Steam that was the death throes of the Coast, he did the same thing with Ansett Airlines as well. all the best Glenn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was 67-71. Pincher Martin was replaced I think by Les Barber then Bluey Morgan. Sailed with Bluey Morgan on some Union tub but cant remember which. I do however remember a few of the crew.
    Morgan the red (blueys alter ego) and Luke the spook (Alan Lucas) spent their daywork evenings drinking Barossa pearl.
    Brasso Burns was the cook.
    Ronny Hines or RangiHini (ex Eastender) last saw Ronnie on the Aeteoroa in Tokiyo bay the year of the Worlds Fair.69???
    Miller Gorilla (a big Kiwi) and his mate " the jamroll" Passed out in Melbourne after asession in the Charlie Hoffam and shaved each others eyebrows off ( two seperate nights)
    A scouse bucko (ordinary seaman) we called "piggy",bit of a character as he was the only 5th year ordinary seaman Ive ever sailed with.
    Hopefully Ill dredge up a few more names.

Glen did you leave the coast to fly with Ansett,??the little grey cells remember a deckie on the coast that did that.
    Last edited by Allan Jeffery; 10th August 2008 at 11:44 AM.
    your never alone......witha penguin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose we should title this thread Kiwi coast as a lot of our ships werent actually Union steam.

I did.
    Aromoana /Aranui
    Wellington Exporter
    Puriri
    Pukeko??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Green Machines

Not a bad idea AJ, yeh in my days we had the Mad Doctor Parachute Jock Greasy Charly the messman oh so many , yes Id already studied for my ticket and sat it at Southampton School of navigation, sailed either AB as I wanted or third mate on Trampers. Cyril Fox Warrick Gould, and many others the Rehu Brothers too of Lyttleton , all the best Glenn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Glen I remember Parachute Jock and Cuban Steve,a bloke called Harpic(real name) who was a steward. Specs , Lance Tye ( had a girlfriend that was a bit "toothy" called Trigger),Johnny Jeffery and Lindsy Tisman and a great character called Hogan ,cant remember his first name,one of the only people Id ever sailed with that had a certificate from a doctor to say he was sane.....go figure..
    The hey day of the (in)famous Snake Pit. we're going back a bit now our kid.
    Im typing this in the control room of a semi sub off Norway...film star wages but no where near the laughs.!! Most of the guys here are offshore North Sea Tigers and a lot lot younger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re N.z Coast

Hi Ajay, you certainly have a good memory re the N.Z Coast!!! The names certainly "rang a lot of bells for me!!! You mentioned Ronnie Hines from the "Aotearoa", i was on the ship with Ronnie, and we were in Japan for the "World Expo"in 1970, so i may have been on the ship in Tokyo Bay at the time you mentioned. Its a small world isnt it!!! I shipped out in N.Z in 1964, and my ships were- Kanna, Onehunga,Holmwood, Parera,Kokiri, Karetu, Navua, Ngakuta, Ngahere, Kaimiro, Kawerau,Koraki,Waimea, Waimate,Taveuni, Aotearoa, Union Aotearoa, Tawanui.There were some "classic" nicknames on the N .Z Coast alright.Mine was actually "Oamaru", so no guesses where i came from!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast