Thread: Gabriella

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gabriella

In April 1946 I did one round trip in the Gabriella, Wellington/Greymouth/Wellington as a Deck Boy. Once was enough. How were you expected tp keep the deck in the foc's'le clean when the wharfies were dumping tons of coal into No. 1 Hatch right beside your place of residence??
    Who remembers "The Corner" that miserable office where we 'stood up' for jobs but didn't get picked? Does any old-timer remember Felix Newfield, the Union Secrertary with his shiny suit?
    Cheers
    KiwiAB

2. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kiwi AB.
    You don't say what other ships you sailed on the coast, or did you go on the home boats?
    When I first got on the coast Finton Patrick was the President, Ghandi was in Dunedin, Anderson was in Auckland, Tom Martin in Lyttleton. I used to hate those line ups, while the mate picked the crew. You knew it was a waste of time standing for the likes of the Tofua for the island run, or the Ferries, as they picked the same blokes. I left before the union changed it to a roster system, which was much fairer.
    Cheers Des

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Now living in Invercargill,New Zealand,not far from Bluff
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up the corner

I did not mind the "corner" it did not compare to the "pool" of Pommy land but I did ok when I stood and I got some good ships through it,including the "TOFUA" I sailed on the good ship for about 18 months, I got married while a crew member and still have a raintree table presented by the deck hands and it has many signatures on the underside of it. I left the Tofua to stand at the corner for a fly job to the UK,promising my new wife I would swallow the anchor if I got the job, and I did. we flew to the UK and picked up the small ship called at that time" Bay Fissher" we had a bulk cargo of salt bound for the Mount. A great trip, and yes I did keep my promise and came ashore. The "Bay Fisher" changed ite name after that.

My Wife and I just celebrated our 45th wedding anv. last month

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gabriella

My first ship was the Taupata and my third was the Totara (1) both in the Anchor Company. Then I shipped out to the U.K. in the Fordsdale and joined the London Pool for four years.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post