Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: pets on union castle line

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: pets on union castle line

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I was 2nd. Mate on the Jedmoor in March 1960 when we loaded General Cargo for N.Z. among the bits of eveything from a pin to larger commodities was a dead lady who the sights of Liverpool must have been too much for her, for she came onboard complete with coffin, and Cappys good friend Captain Roberts insisted she be stowed among all the beer wine and spirits down No. 2 hold just forward of the Bridge saying that will keep the baskets out if they are scared of ghosts and sure enough there was no pilferage from that hold. I am sure those 3 dogs would have been appreciated in Ma Gleasons being by that time real seadogs. Cheers JS
    wonder when old roberts passed john ......he looked one old count in 57 ...but as stated he most probably had a hard time 39 to 45 ....runcimans lost a lot of vessels in far away climes ...never forget hin chucking a diacharge book hard into an ABs face and calling him a drunk and a liar in the shipping office and telling him to bugger off in a very very loud manner ....shades of captain bligh..he certainly put the fear into me ....minute i saw him i ducked and ran ......till he caught me coming down the quay in adelaide with two buckets of ale before the alkali pub i believe it was called closed after the early swill....mind he didnt charge me for the buckets when we paid off months later.....as he shouted throw the beer in the water ....whereby i threw the buckets as well ......somebody shouted your an old count .....whereby he was bellowing who said that who said that ......oh happy days R683532
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th June 2022 at 09:06 AM.

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so i got some feed back - yes animals were carried on union castle mail shipswindsor castle dog - great dane 1 (1).jpg

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to take my sheep dog on watch with me , used to sleep with me in cabin , if I left. Him by himself he used to eat any footwear lying around until I learned to stow it away , and keep him chained to my washbasin. He probably kept a better lookout than me on the bridge . Mans best friend and I’ve always believed that .Cheers JS

One has to be aware of the penalties however of bringing undeclared animals into any country . Have had stowaway cats onboard and if you don’t declare them and the port health find , they will be destroyed . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th June 2022 at 01:00 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #13
    good evening, i suppose it was the 4 to 8 or dog watch you where on, also cappy i presume stood the same only with his emu.
    tom

7. Likes Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #6
    good evening, what about the hurdy gurdy man, donavan used to sing about, was he a distant relative to the gilley-gilley man.
    tom

9. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I used to take my sheep dog on watch with me , used to sleep with me in cabin , if I left. Him by himself he used to eat any footwear lying around until I learned to stow it away , and keep him chained to my washbasin. He probably kept a better lookout than me on the bridge . Mans best friend and I’ve always believed that .Cheers JS

One has to be aware of the penalties however of bringing undeclared animals into any country . Have had stowaway cats onboard and if you don’t declare them and the port health find , they will be destroyed . JS
    The crew messman on one job found a puppy at the side of the road in Kowloon, obviously very sick.
    He brought it aboard and kept it in a carboard box with some nice bedding and was very protective of it, used to cuddle it on the poop in his spare time.
    Day before we arrived in Singapore he was sitting outside stroking it when the first mate walked by, he stopped and turned back and asks the messman what he was going to do with it. I am going to look after it till it gets better he replied. The mate said, no I mean tomorrow when we get to Singapore, the authorities will take it away and probably destroy it.
    The messman asked if he was joking but the mate said, I am serious; so the messman holds the pup out at arms length, looked at it, then launched it over the wall.
    Got up and walked away, never mentioned it again.

11. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Portwig View Post
    so i got some feed back - yes animals were carried on union castle mail shipswindsor castle dog - great dane 1 (1).jpg
    That was one in a MILLION i bet! Nice one though Thanks always something around when you look! Great Dog , the Great Dane!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 seen similar happen more than once Tony . Very disturbing if you like animals. JS
    R575129

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some countries are very hard on animal quarantine, others just come in.
    Here in Oz it is three months in a fully operated quarantine station for all animals.
    I know when my sister went to live in Spain she took her two cats and just walked them in.

Rabies is one of the biggest worries but here in Oz Foot and Mouth.
    If that got loose here we would be in deep doo, doo.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Portwig View Post
    thats a good story - thanks for sharing - i did manage to dig up a reply of a cat on one of the older union castle mailships - but not 100 % sure of the detailsAttachment 34787
    Would be interesting to find out Brian, as said as far as i knew there were no Pets allowed, but possibly for special Persons ??? Who knows.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

18. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast