Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: union castle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: union castle.

John mate
    Its the great memories that keep us all so young at Heart and some of us in Body too! But that one you can count me out LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They used to say....
    "You are not a real Sailor until you have had Seven".
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn, and I thought it was only three!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    They used to say....
    "You are not a real Sailor until you have had Seven".
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Glad I didn't qualify then!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This seems appropriate:

A police patrol stops a car for traveling faster than the posted speed limit on the A30. Since he's in a good mood that day he decides he might give the fellow a break and write him out a warning instead of a ticket.
    So, he asks the man his name.
    "Fred," the driver replies.
    "Fred what?" the copper asks.
    "Just Fred," the man responds.
    When the copper presses him for a last name, the man tells him that he used to have a last name but lost it.
    The copper thinks he has a nut case on his hands but plays along with it.
    "Tell me Fred, how did you lose your last name?"
    The man replies, "It's a long story so stay with me. I was born Fred Dingaling. I know, funny last name. The kids used to tease me all the time. So I stayed to myself. I studied hard and got good grades.
    "When I got older I realized that I wanted to be a doctor. I went through college medical school, internship, residency, finally got my degree so I was Fred Dingaling, MD.
    "After a while I got bored being a doctor so I decided to go back to school. Dentistry was my dream. Got all the way through school, got my degree so I was now Fred Dingaling, MD, DDS.
    "Got bored doing dentistry so I started fooling around with my assistant. She gave me VD. So, I was Fred Dingaling, MD, DDS with VD.
    Well, the ADA found out about the VD so they took away my DDS so I was Fred Dingaling MD with VD.
    Then the AMA found out about the ADA taking away my DDS because of the VD, so they took away my MD leaving me as Fred Dingaling with VD.
    Then the VD took away my dingaling . . . so now I'm just Fred."
    The copper walked away in tears, laughing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did 10 weeks on The Richmond Castle in 1968. Went to South Africa and returned loaded with oranges. I think it took about 4 weeks each way as she was very slow. The only film we had on board was 'Jungle Book' which was shown so many times we almost new the dialogue off by heart. In fair weather it was shown on deck and projected onto a white bulkhead. A great old ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Miller View Post
    I did 10 weeks on The Richmond Castle in 1968. Went to South Africa and returned loaded with oranges. I think it took about 4 weeks each way as she was very slow. The only film we had on board was 'Jungle Book' which was shown so many times we almost new the dialogue off by heart. In fair weather it was shown on deck and projected onto a white bulkhead. A great old ship.
    She shouldn't have taken that long, all the R boats could do at least 17 knots (with a stop for a rest every couple of days)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re .your Post. no.72

Nostalgia! Vernon. Seeing inside ,"The Old Place "again

On reading this Thread,today.

Retrieved this from part of a story had written some years ago.For our S.E. Qld. Vindi Association ,Magazine.

Our Cargo was for La. Plata ,Argentina. via Capetown,for Bunkers and Stores.
    So settled down now for a couple of weeks at sea.
    Arriving Capetown, elated to hear" We were overnighting." Great!
    Having heard so much of the fabolous Delmonicos ,both on here and previous Ships .Couldn't wait!
    And was not disappointed,It more than fulfilled any expectations..From the breathtaking Decor.Its realistically Starlit ceiling, givtng the impression of a open -air building.
    Its elegant Turbanned Sikh waiters. It's range of Drinks ,meals if required.
    The Wonderfully entertaintng Cherie Wainer ,at the Organ, belting out songs. In particular "You Rascal, You." a oft requested number. I was to listen to and see again often ,when on the Cape- Mail Boats And all this very affordable ,even on a Seaman's wage.

For John and I, our first visit. Lived up to all expectations . except ,"We didn't Score", as the Saying goes!

That was to come later , ,when I joined the Cape- Mail Boats. The Winchester and Capetown Castles. A Dream run .As it transpired .
    Had one of the Last Drinks there . on New Years Eve.1958 ,when it unceremoniously Closed .,at 10-30 p.m. So Anyone who Says they went in Delmonicos after that ."Were Only Dreaming!"
    Another little reminder of Delmonico's.Was in there one night,from aboard, either the Capetown or Wnchester. Castle .Three or four of us ,imbibing.
    A group of animated fresh-faced ,beaming -guys. Took a table ,near ours .Recognised them ,as seamen, . Their Table was really enjoying.
    Snippets of ,getting louder,conversation ,Geordie ! accents. Indicared ,
    That. I guessed rightly,they were on the way to the River Plate ,and were overnighting, doing the same run as the Red Bank. Gulf to River Plate .

Must have been intermission or something.Anyway ,i was Standing ,"at the Trough A number of them trooped -in awaiting their turn.Behind me
    The strong geordie accents ,.were intriguing.

Happy as the proverbial. full of Beer and Bonhomie . I decided in good faith ,to subscribe, 'Saying ,in my best Geordte accent' Ah Knows Tha ! Know. Happened to be their Bos'n next to me . Big guy. Says,angrly " Tha knows Fook aw."
    Suitably subdued , I retreated to the safety of my table.
    NEVER A DULL MOMENT!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DEL'S CLOSING

Here's the Story.
    Homeward Bound of the six weeks round Trip from Southampton.We would spend Five days at Outer Harbour,Homeward bound, think it was E.Berth. Anyway Posted on the Notice board, at the Bus for Town, ,
    All that week , Was displayed an elaborate .Notice . Announcing the Closure of Delmonicos .
    "Trading to Cease, at Midnight , 31st December.Owing to Expiry of Lease.
    Management would like this opportunity to thank You All, for Yuur Patronage ,over the Years. In appreciation ,Free Drinks will be provtded ,from Eight P.M.New YEARS EVE.

NO Contest !Where else would anyone care to be?
    New Years Eve arrived. Couple of Mates and I duly made our way to,The DEL.

The Polite turbaned Waiters, to and fro ,taking our orders and returning with laden Tray Gradually the place began filling.-up
    'Never Mind the expense ! It's the Festive Season " . " The Management will be "Pushing the Boat out" later -on." Another Brandy --Square there Our Kid?
    "Same again, please Waiter" The whole atmosphere was jovial.The Noise of conversations and laughing ,increasing. Time flew."Must be etght-o-clock by now.? Yes!" Free Drinks?
    Anyway,it may start a little later on , Could have given the wrong time perhaps on the notice Board"? Look ,they're still charging for drinks on the other Table." O.K. Get another Round in."
    Service was becoming decidedly slower.Times, between Ordering and Receiving ,were extending.
    The atmosphere was dropping,the lights here and there,were dimming.the Waiter service was non-existent "Sorry Sir, wer'e collecting the Glasses No More Orders"
    The time was 10- 30 p.m. We were being gently directed towards the Exits. "The Lease finishes at Midnight.you must leave,Please.'
    So that was the end of an Era The famous . Delmonicos ,was no more.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ?

We were victims of an Hoax perpetrated by the Winchester Castle's Ship's Printer
    An Aussie !to Boot!
    He seemed quite Happy about it when confronred next day.And listening to our varying reactions
    So we took it in the manner intended ,.As a good joke.
    No ! He didn't Get, THE BOOT!
    Not even , the Slipper!
    Anyone who claims to have visited Dels. since then though " is only Dreaming."
    Last edited by Evan Lewis; 20th May 2016 at 12:45 AM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Geoff. I too was on the Capetown Castle when the bullion was stole. Was'nt me either.

12. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fruit Boats!

In 1956 when I was at Junior School (Standard 5 or Grade 7) at Selborne primary in East London (South Africa) the school "adopted" the Tintagel Castle and whenever she was in port a school visit was obligatory. We exchanged essays and in return received news letters on what she did and where we went.
    Here is a group of school mates on the bridge.
    Selborne Std 5 in Tintagel Castle.jpg

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, john walker liked this post
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast