Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Union-Castle's Fort Carillon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Union-Castle's Fort Carillon

In 1949 I spent nearly eight months as an A.B. in the Fort Carillon, managed by the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co.Ltd. She was a wartime-built Fort ship, single scfrew, coal-burning and very slow!
    We left London heavily loaded with cargo for what was to be the great Groundnut Development Scheme in East Africa. On the foredeck we had two steam locomotives and two ex-R.N.steam launches . Aft we had several earth-moving carryalls.
    Our first port was Genoa, then on to Port Said, Port Sudan, Aden, Mombasa, Pemba, Tanga, Dar-es-Salaam, Zanzibar, back to Dar-es-Salaam then on to Lindi and Mikindani where we unloaded the Groundnut Scheme stuff, using the 50-ton 'jumbo' derrick to do that. I might tell you that those locomotives joined about twenty others being overgrown by weeds and, if they haven't rusted away after all those years, no doubt they are still there!
    Next it was on to Beira, Durban and Port Elizabeth where we loaded a full cargo of 1,000lb bombs which had been stockpiled there during the war. We took that cargo to the Abu Sultan RAF Base near the Bitter Lakes in the Suez Canal, then made our way back down the coast- Aden, Mombasa, Beira, Durban, Cape Town, Luderitz Bay, Walvis Bay, Hamburg, London.
    Our Captain was Capt. A.C.M. Black, the best skipper I ever sailed with in that he treated all the crew as equals and 'gentlemen' and in thhat way got our respect. (Look him up in the U-CMSCo. Staff List).
    During our 3 week stay in Port Elizabeth, I met my wife and went back to PE to live there, (1950-1954) I worked as a Cargo supervisor for the UCMSCo for that time. My boss was the Marine Supoerintendent, Capt C.J. Clutterbuck, a real character and a great boss.

2. Likes N/A, Daniel Egan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAB View Post
    In 1949 I spent nearly eight months as an A.B. in the Fort Carillon, managed by the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co.Ltd. She was a wartime-built Fort ship, single scfrew, coal-burning and very slow!
    We left London heavily loaded with cargo for what was to be the great Groundnut Development Scheme in East Africa. On the foredeck we had two steam locomotives and two ex-R.N.steam launches . Aft we had several earth-moving carryalls.
    Our first port was Genoa, then on to Port Said, Port Sudan, Aden, Mombasa, Pemba, Tanga, Dar-es-Salaam, Zanzibar, back to Dar-es-Salaam then on to Lindi and Mikindani where we unloaded the Groundnut Scheme stuff, using the 50-ton 'jumbo' derrick to do that. I might tell you that those locomotives joined about twenty others being overgrown by weeds and, if they haven't rusted away after all those years, no doubt they are still there!
    Next it was on to Beira, Durban and Port Elizabeth where we loaded a full cargo of 1,000lb bombs which had been stockpiled there during the war. We took that cargo to the Abu Sultan RAF Base near the Bitter Lakes in the Suez Canal, then made our way back down the coast- Aden, Mombasa, Beira, Durban, Cape Town, Luderitz Bay, Walvis Bay, Hamburg, London.
    Our Captain was Capt. A.C.M. Black, the best skipper I ever sailed with in that he treated all the crew as equals and 'gentlemen' and in thhat way got our respect. (Look him up in the U-CMSCo. Staff List).
    During our 3 week stay in Port Elizabeth, I met my wife and went back to PE to live there, (1950-1954) I worked as a Cargo supervisor for the UCMSCo for that time. My boss was the Marine Supoerintendent, Capt C.J. Clutterbuck, a real character and a great boss.
    hi kiwi ab. i was captain blacks steward on the kenilworth castle from august 1954 to january 1955. as you say he was a real gentleman. i used to practice typing in the radio room when in port and put records on for the crew.he often came up and complimented me on my choices. his wife came on board in greenock and i looked after her little daschund. she was also very nice. cheers. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ucl

Hi Kiwi AB
    Although your time at Sea was long before me,your writeup of all those Ports along the African Coast (Aden, Mombasa, Beira, Durban, Cape Town,East London,Port Elizabeth, Walvis Bay, London.etc) bring back fond memories of the days at Sea!
    As i have said before,some of you chaps here have really had some good years in the MN and i still to this day wish that i had not been so foolish to leave when i did! I know that i missed out on many good years with many good Friends!
    However sometimes circumstances change ones pattern of life,and i suppose we must just be thankfull for what was dished up for us!
    Also i read that you married in PE and then worked as Cargo Supervisor for UCL!
    Well when i eventually got back home from the UK in 1964 i too worked as a Tally Clerk in Cape Town Harbour under a Mr Curruthers,who was also a real Gentleman! Great guy,i wonder sometimes whatever happened to him!
    By the way Kiwi,that Staff Register for UCL seems to have vanished? Any ideas!As i was on that too with Pics etc!but cannot find it anywhere!
    Cheers yours aws good reading mate!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th October 2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: correction
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Likes N/A, Daniel Egan liked this post
    Gulliver Guest

To;kiwiAB.,Alf,Doc Vernon etc.What terrific recollections!.It adds to all those south/east African memories of those places I can connect to.(albeit 10 to 20 years later)

I hope(trust) that one day all our memories will be recorded for posterity by this site.

Good on you,mates!
    Davey
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th December 2020 at 07:07 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default East London.

Hello kiwiab. That really was some trip you had there, just reading those ports bought back many memories, a good while after your escapade you understand, I did a good few trips with T.&.J.Harrisons ( Two of fat and one of lean.) fame The Tactician, and also a few Union Castle jobs, Richmond Castle, Tantallon Castle, Tintagel Castle. and the Windsor Castle.It was whilst working aboard the Tintagel Castle that I suffered pretty bad burns whilst working in the Engine Room,( My original job at sea ) I dont wish to apportion blame on anyone but the in-experience of a Junior Engineer trying to cut cornrers on the job of draining the fuel line to the Donkey Boiler, that we had a massive blow-back and yours truly was just in the process of filling a 5 gallon drum of what can only be described as Watery Oil, via the burner housing, resulting in me suffering pretty bad burns. At that time we where just going to safe anchorage overnight outside East London. As soon as we did go alongside following morning one of the first up the gangway was a Doctor and two Paramedics. I was taken ashore to The Frere Hospital, where I remained for two and a half months, I then stayed in the Grand Hotel for nearly three weeks, and attending Hospital as an out-patient, of course the inevitable occured and I copped for a Nurse, we used to go to the Beach Hotel a lot. But the time came and I had to leave by means of the Windsor Castle, working as ( believe it or not, a bloody Saloon Steward, winging in Tourest Class.) can you imagine it, coming out of the Engine Room, having been a Rag Ar**d Fireman, to wearing a bloody dickie bow and serving passengers. But lets forget that story, the main reason I wrote to you my good fellow was simply to enquire as to how much East London has changed since1969/70 to the present day.
    I do get some snippets from the Sports Reporter of,I think its The Argus, namely a Peter Martin, I contacted him via my interest in my second sport, namely Cricket. But Sir, being ex-seafarers you and I speak the same language, and I would just be very interested to know how things are in East London, and not just your good self, but any other Gentlemen who have settled anywhere in South Africa, a place I had the pleasure of visiting a good few times, and enjoyed it very much.
    Sorry to bore you, and anyone else who has had to endure the torture of reading this message. Will leave you Sir and all other readers a Very Good Night.
    Regards.
    Harvey.

10. Thanks Alistair Kerr thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Daniel Egan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default UCL Staff Register.

Hi. The staff register is still there, I've just been into it to check. Ken.

http://union-castle.net/

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Yes indeed!

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for letting us now about the UCL Staff Reg. and yes i have looked in now as well,good job its still going,but has a new facelift to it!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Castleman View Post
    Hi Ken,
    Thanks for letting us now about the UCL Staff Reg. and yes i have looked in now as well,good job its still going,but has a new facelift to it!
    Cheers
    Good site Vernon, but have you noticed it only has the 'gold braid' brigade listed, no mention of the workers?????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While it does appear to be mainly officers, they do also include the workers. My details are on the site, and I was just a bell boy http://union-castle.net/shipmates_Warren_Ian_01.htm.

I seem to recall that Owen was anxious to hear from other crew members, so that he could add them.

Ian

18. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Good site Vernon, but have you noticed it only has the 'gold braid' brigade listed, no mention of the workers?????
    hey John.
    You ll be told off for swearing again.w-----s we'll have to wash your mouth out with soap with any more of that talk. lol
    best wishes geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

20. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast