Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: tikki hock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default waldorf hotel

my dad was band leader at the waldorf from 1953-1955. Jimmy luff and his band, ex BBC, london.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cape Town used to be fairly safe to walk around in the early 50s, I had relatives living in Seapoint and I would walk it back to the ship at midnight no probs.
    In August 1976 I went with a mate up Adderley Street at 4pm on a sunny afternoon and we were slowly surrounded by ten Skollies, two in fron three on either side and two behind and very close up, we were "guided" round a corner, there was no escape, very well organised, and then attacked, We had a hell of a battle and finally fought our way out. My mate lost his jacket with his wallet, cash and cards in it. The Skollies ran off with it.
    We went to the Police Station and a Detective checked his gun and said follow me, we got into his car and drove around town to look for them. He then said , I know who they are , they are from District Six, which at the time was full of derelect buildings, the residents were being moved to new bungalows on the Cape Flats on the road to the Airport. The Riots were on at the time. By now it was getting dark, no street lights and all kinds of derelection. He pulled out his gun Follow me he shouts and we run after him, I am right up his back as close as I could get, If shooting started he was a good cover. we ran around for a while and saw no one. So then he gave up. and took us back to town.
    I was in Cape Town in 2001, Adderley Street was full of the blacks, we had to walk in the road, we had been advised by the hotel not to go there after 3pm.
    New laws said the blacks could have their stalls on the side walks outside all the stores so they could compete for business, all the side walks on both side were packed and sothe only way to go was to walk in the middle of the road in all the traffic. We gave up and went to the V&A instead.We went back to Cape Town again in 2009 and still the same , dont go out after 3pm or the Skollies will get you. so all our time was spent in the V&A.
    A lovely City knackered.
    I went up the road to the Airport, the new bungalows that were built in 1976 were now slums, garbage and graffiti everywhere and more and more tin and tarporlin shanties all the way to the airport, it was a Mess. where were the new houses for everyone that Mandela promised, He had already got his £10,000,000 mansion.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th April 2012 at 02:21 PM.

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Tony Morcom Guest

I remember them starting to build those bungalows and how it was supposed to be a major improvement for the city. Such a shame to hear how its all gone wrong. I spent 10 days there with my first wife waiting for a ship to arrive in 76.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I first saw them in 1976 when I was flying with Court Helicopters as an Observer, Scotty was driving me down from the Airport and we were passing them, They looked really nice, each one had a grass verge outside and their own space, They were very reluctant to move in there, he told me, they had free electricity and water. They wanted to stay in District Six which was a slum more than a hundred years old. That was the cause of the riots they had at that time.
    Now they look worse than a slum. A waste of time and money .
    cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cape Town

Hi Capt
    Certainly not disputing any of your stories,as i know these things happen,and not only in Cape Town but many other places around the World!

Anyway i was back home in Cape Town in 1998 for a visit to my dear Sister,and i can assure you that i went out in the Evenings in the City and never had any troubles at all!

Yes one must be watchfull,as there are the elements there as you mention the (Skollies) just another name for the baddies isnt it!
    They have all sorts of names all over the World for people like them!

The Stalls you mention were most definately there too,but to me and many Tourists that i saw wondering around really loved the Goods that were on sale ,some wonderfull pieces of good Woodcraft and many other Items!
    These stalls were given the go ahead by the Cape City Council,to assist the people to earn a living,which is a good thing in a Country that is now struggling with the Rand at a very low level!

The thing i did notice whilst there was the constant presence of armed Police standing all over the place with thier AK 45 Automatics at the ready,this to me was something that i had not seen before,but again to me,this presence made me feel safer ,not that i was ever in danger ,but things do happen,and this was reassuring to me and many others!
    These Police are really ready for anything,and thier reaction time is wondefull!
    I say this as i did at one time see a robbery at a Jewellers Store in Adderley Street ,and believe me i have never seen such fast reaction time!
    Within Seconds there were over a Dozen of these Cops ,and in Minutes had the Suspect under Arrest!
    Most Jeweller Stores have very heavy Gaurds very close at hand!
    I think that more Police presence in many other Cities would also be welcomed! I know here in Sydney it would be !

On the whole Cape Town is still quite a safe place to walk around even after dark,but as said one must watch out,this applies in any large City,take Sydney for example,in some areas at night i woudnt be seen there for quids!!

The V&A Waterfront really is something to take in,as you well know,with lots to do and see!
    The Day trips to various places,one of course being the famous Robin Island trip!

To me Durban and Johannesburg are the places to be very very wary of,as there is so many more Crimes etc going on at these Cities!

So to end for me Cape Town is still the Hub of South Africa,and at present is rated amongst the top five Tourists destinations in the World,that in itself says something!

Just my views Lads!]
    Cheers

CT_CBD_WF_TM_m.jpg

Cape Town voted world's 6th best tourist city

Cape Town has been voted one of the top ten cities tourists like to visit in the recent annual poll of Travel & Leisure magazine readers. Cape Town was ranked 6th overall in the 11th annual poll of The World’s Best Awards, a competition that is highly esteemed by the travel world.
    Andrew Arnolds, deputy mayor of Cape Town attended the awards ceremony at the Rockefeller Centre in New York this week. He said that the award reaffirms the Mother City as a world-class destination. Awards like these strengthen the city’s position on the international stage and create huge potential for addressing many of the socio-economic problems in South Africa.
    Cape Town received a score of 85.39 from readers, putting it ahead of places like New York City, Buenos Ares and Venice. The awards puts Cape Town amongst some of the perennial favourite cities in the world, such as Florence, which was voted favourite destination city for the second time, Bangkok and Sydney. Readers of the magazine poll the cities based on various categories such as hotels, tourist infrastructure and general appeal. Some of the hotels in Cape Town that were highly rated included the Mount Nelson, Table Bay Hotel and the Cape Grace... But is was another South African hotel, Singita Private Game Reserve, Sabi Sands, that was rated the top hotel overall, receiving a rating of 97.56..

2009 Rated 2rd

http://www.eturbonews.com/10332/cape...eisure-readers
    Now in 2011 rated Number 1

http://www.travelstart.com/street/ca...ation-in-2011/
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Likes N/A, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon , it was just that having been attacked once by the Skollies it still felt unsafe especially having Anne with me and I didnt want to put her in any danger. sometimes it did feel a little menacing. It is a beautiful city one of the best in the world. We did the Robben Island trip and sat in Mandela`s Cell.
    My aunts, uncles and cousins have always lived there in Seapoint once a lovely area, but I was told last time I was there in 2009 that the area has been taken over by the drug gangs etc especially at the bottom end.
    I first saw Mandela in 1976 when I went to the Island in the Court Helicopter with prisoners and stores, the Pilot pointed him out to me.
    Cheers
    Brian.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fully Understand!

Hi Capt
    Can fully understand your feelings of putting either yourself or dear Anne in any danger mate!
    After that attack i can understand !
    But as said generally in Cape Town things are not too bad,and very little happens as far as attacks on Visitors are concerned,this is a fact,as the Skollies and others too know just too well what to expect if caught! The Law there is very tough i know from first and experience!

Next time you go there just remember a few words that will keep them away,as if they hear you talking Afrikaans they soon think that you understand what they are saying!
    Works well believe me!

If any approach you just say out loud in Afrikaans!

What is it you want dont try anything as i am a police officer

Wat is dit wat jy wil het, monie probeer om iets te doen as ek is 'n polisiebeampte

Try getting this correct !! I know it may be diffucult haah!

Sea Point as you say was a wonderfull place to live,but i too have heard that it is not too good nowdays in certain areas!
    But there again Capt like anywhere if one keeps to oneself,normally living is quite OK!
    I recall the Authurs Seat Hotel (not sure if its still there) was a lovely Hotel to go and have a drink,especially in the Main Lounge!

Cheers Keep well!
    Hello Anne!!

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default tikki hock

Hi Guys,
    I was in Capetown for 14 days 3 years ago, we thought it was a lovely city now, i had been there several times in the late 50,s, in the bad old days. we stayed in the Town House Hotel, right by the police station, and went out in the city with no hazzle at all, caught the hop on hop off bus, and got off in several places, we went to the botanical garden, and there had been a mugging in the more remote part of the garden some days before, so we were cautious. In the city itself there were security personnel everywhere, on horseback, motorbikes, on foot, and at the cash machines. We did not leave the hotel after dark, had we done so we would have taken a taxi, as per advice. We had a fantastic stay at Inver Dorn(spelling?) safari farm. My only regret we did not go to Robin Island, hopefully on a future visit(if the £ improves), regards Keith

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Vernon,
    The relatives lived at the top of Regent Road in Seapoint , it was the bottom of that road where the baddies where last time. and the cousins lived in apartments along the sea front at Seapoint, nearer to the swim pool.
    it was nice in the old days. Last time there three years ago the pool was closed, I think it was beeing rebuilt.
    Cheers
    Brian.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Pool!

Hi Again Capt
    jus a few Pics!
    Look at the past and the present at the Pool!
    Cripes spot the White dot! haha!
    Cheers1960 Sea pOINT pAVILLION.jpgSea Point Pavillion 1977.jpg2011 Sea Point Pavillion.jpg

R697530

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast