Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: UCL Fleet and more!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UCL Fleet and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Payne View Post
    Not sure but I think "Union Castle Line" owned the "St Thomas" an old South American Saint line ship, the reason I think this, I saw the Bosun of the St Thomas in a Cape Town bar ( Del Monicoes ? ) he was then the Bosun of a NEW cargo ship "CAPETOWN CASTLE" ?? which sunk shortly afterwards, circa '60's ?
    Any info on how good my memory is ? ( would be much appreciated as it's not as good as it was )
    Simmer Graham,Keep taking the scotch mate I remember her She did go down............................. She was renamed the SS Bouncy Castle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7trlXCgpw
    {terry scouse}

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AND THERE IS THIS...…………
    GOOD HOPE CASTLE (2) was built in 1965 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Wallsend with a tonnage of 10538grt, a length of 592ft, a beam of 77ft 5in and a service speed of 22.5 knots.

The second 'Mini Mail' fast cargo ship, her delivery was delayed by 3.5 months during which time the Capetown Castle had to undertake her sailings but her eventual arrival meant that seven ships could handle the mail contract requirements instead of eight.

She was the first of the pair to have her accommodation altered to cater for the government requirements.

On 23rd June 1973 a severe engine room fire spread to the accommodation and she had to be abandoned.

Eighty two survivors were picked up by the Liberian tanker George F. Getty and were landed at Ascension.

Taken in tow by the German owned salvage tug Albatros she reached Antwerp on 18th August.

There, the contract for the extensive repairs was awarded to Astilleros Espanoles and, as a result, she was towed to Bilboa by the tug Heros.

Repairs were completed by May in the following year and she was back in service on 31st of that month.

Like her sister, she also had the distinction of appearing on an Ascension Island postage stamp in May 1976.

THe Master of the AMSTERDAM, Holland America, Jonathan Mercer, was a cadet at the time and they spent three days in a lifeboat before landing on Ascension.
    Nice fellow and I have sailed with him a few times.
    Brian

4. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is the book you are referring to every thursday at 4 o clock - and much to my surprise it was more or less the same as the - golden run book - both by the same author - both my collection

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5