Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Malt Whiskey,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default whiksy

Stevie#1
    can't wait to try it. Nor should you my friend. I got a bottle of JW blue for my big 7. Checked out the price, naughty I know, and freaked out. Told the gang down at the club what I had got and I was asked how I drank it. ' Alone', I said!
    Seriously it is interesting to hear of English and Welsh whisky. The Japanese to a fair blend too and probably others.Regards to all Ronnie ex Leith pool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love a nice Malt and have a nice collection at home, including the penderyn. No english stuff though, I reckon that would just be too hard to take. :-)
    Was in the hotel in Lagos this trip and fancied a dram before bed. The only malt they had was The Glenfiddich (not my favourite) so decided to have a Blue Label instead. Thank Christ I only had the one double. 9,200 Naira. £38. Mental. Anybody remember the old Nigerian Pound before Naira came in? If so anybody willing to either loan me a note or sell me one? People here don't believe me when I tell them what the exchange rate used to be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was sailing home from Perth a couple or so years ago on a Portugese ship, FUNCHAL, and we called in at Goa, In the street by the port was a liqour shop, I bought four litre bottles of Chivas Regal, at £4 each.
    It was made in INDIA, The Chivas Regal company sends out a mash and then it is completed in INDIA.
    It was an excellent whisky and soon disapeared.

I had paid off an Esso tanker in Lerwick in the Shetlands in January 1985 when they have the
    `Up hallyah`sic, Festival, for the Vikings.
    They heave a Viking long boat up onto the square and then set fire to it, we all got a bottle of whisky, it lasts for three days and nights, they are all dressed up as Vikings, charging round town with axes and swords, they call at pubs, clubs , and halls, every time your bottle is empty someone sticks another bottle of whisky into it.
    it was fantastic, dont remember too much of the three days, I had a helmet on and an axe, I lost my coat, I lost my hotel,, didnt know where I was staying. It was snowing most of the time and I was frozen, I went into several hotels to see if was booked in there and thrown out, I eventually found the Queens Hotel and the girl at the desk said I had hypothermia, and took me to my room and stripped my clothes off and stuck me under a hot shower for a long time to shift the cold. Then stowed me away in my bunk. After sleeping for about 18 hours I got up and thanked the young lady for saving my life.
    I flew home the following day, I always said I would go back for the festival but never got around to it.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default 260,000 bottles of first class whisky.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Whisky Galore:

All that's left of Whisky Galore: Remaining bottles of single malt salvaged from film -inspiring WWII shipwreck go up for auction:

Bottles made up part of8,000-ton cargo ship 'SS Politician' that sank in 1941

Ship was carrying 264,000 bottles of whisky, many of which were salvaged by islanders before customs arrived and ordered police to make arrests

Up until this point, whisky on the island had dried up due to war rationing

Film Whisky Galore was a 1949 Ealing comedy based on these events

The auctioned whisky may well be undrinkable but unique history likely to attract collectors from around the world:

Read more: Bottles of single malt salvaged from World War Two shipwreck which inspired the film Whisky Galore go up for auction | Mail Online

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Friends ofClassic Malts send me regular emails of their whisky products, here is a new one from the Isle of Skye.
    The photos didnt cocme out . looks good tho`.
    Cheers
    Brian.

friendsofclassicmalts@brandsofdiageo.com (friendsofclassicmalts@brandsofdiageo.com)Add to contacts12:01 GroupsTo: captainkong@msn.com

From: friendsofclassicmalts@brandsofdiageo.com This sender is in your safe list.
    Sent: 26 April 2013 12:01:06
    To: captainkong@co.

If you have problems viewing this newsletter click here.

Hello Brian,

After months of careful crafting by our Master Blenders, striving to enhance the distillery’s distinctive smoky, briny and maritime character, we’re delighted to announce the arrival of a new, powerful and intense whisky: Talisker Storm. It’s bold, rich and evokes the tempestuous seas of its home on the Isle of Skye. And now the time has come to explore this incredible new release.

Our boldest whisky to date is headed for your shores. To celebrate, we’ve planned some spectacular events to match this exhilarating new expression of our Talisker family. Have you got what it takes to brave the storm?

Dark and brooding, Talisker Storm brings together differing aged casks to capture the full maritime character of its sea-swept home. Like a gathering storm, it builds on our signature mellow sweetness with notes of wood, brine and smoke, culminating in one intense and spicy dram. Brace yourselves.

A powerful malt needs an equally powerful food pairing. The deep, rich oils and velvety texture in wild smoked salmon are taken to a new level when matched with Talisker Storm’s wonderfully fragrant smoky and salty flavours.

Meet Tomáš Hradec. A fan in the true sense of the word, he was one of the first to get his hands on a bottle of Talisker Storm. He even gathered together his Talisker glass and decanter to truly savour this unique expression. Sláinte, Tomáš!

TERMS & CONDITIONS PRIVACY STATEMENT CONTACT US
    DRINKiQ UNSUBSCRIBE

This email is sent by The Classic Malts Selection. Please do not forward this email to anybody who is under the legal purchase age for alcohol or to anyone outside your country.

The CLASSIC MALTS, TALISKER STORM words and associated words and logos are trademarks © DIAGEO 2013

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know that I asked this before, what was the name of the boat in the movie. I do remember it was a Harrison's boat.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default SS Politician:

The SS Politician was an 8000-ton cargo ship owned by T & J Harrison of Liverpool. It left Liverpool on 3 February 1941, bound for Kingston, Jamaica and New Orleans with a cargo including 28,000 cases of malt whisky. The ship sank near the island of Eriskay in the Outer Hebrides, off the west coast of Scotland, and much of the wreck's cargo was salvaged by the island's inhabitants. The story of the wreck and looting was the basis for the book and film Whisky Galore!.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default RE: The name of the boat in the movie ?

RE: The name of the boat in the movie ?

Apparently was the fictitious S.S. CABINET MINISTER:

Mackenzie, Compton Whiskey Galore!

Mackenzie’s uproarious World War 2 “home front” tale (well, the Outer Hebrides were part of Britain’s home front!) opens in Feb. 1943 and focuses upon the intensely suffering residents of two small Outer Hebrides islands (the fictitious Great Todday and Little Todday, modeled, it seems, upon the very real islands of North and South Uist) – suffering because, in the wake of strict wartime rationing, there’s nary a drop of whisky to be found on either island. Fate lends a kindly hand, though, when a heavy fog falls upon the sea approaches to the islands and a freighter (the fictitious S.S. CABINET MINISTER) bound for America strikes an outcropping of rocks and has to be abandoned by her officers and crew. The seafaring islanders have harvested flotsam from the Atlantic for generations, but this time they’ve struck the equivalent of Scottish gold: 50,000 cases of expensive, bonded whisky being shipped to the States as part of Britain’s Lend-Lease payments. The islanders – mainly older men and boys since most of the area’s young men are serving their country in the Merchant Marine – lose no time in “harvesting” the CABINET MINISTER’s bounty and then lead officious government administrators on a merry chase as they sequester the liquid booty all over the islands.

Mackenzie’s fictious S.S. CABINET MINISTER incident was inspired by the very real wartime stranding of the freighter S.S. POLITICIAN off Eriskay Island in the Hebrides. Like Mackenzie’s CABINET MINISTER, the POLITICIAN’s cargo included over 264,000 bottles of Scotch whisky – many of which found their way into homes on the islands of Barra, South Uist and North Uist. Whisky Galore was turned into a hilarious Ealing Studio’s motion picture in 1949 starring Joan Greenwood, Basil Radford (as a Col. Blimp-ish Sassenach) and a young Gordon Jackson. Compton Mackenzie himself had a small part in the film as the captain of the grounded S.S. CABINET MINISTER.

The novel was later published in the United States under the alternate title Tight Little Island:

Tight Little Island. Boston, Mass.: Houghton Mifflin, 1950. 339 p

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Whisky Galore

I got the Film about two years ago,went to Radio Merseyside and ask Billy Butler if he could get it for me,anyway it took him about two months,he got it on DVD for me,gave him A Tenner,great film,and a great laugh,and good story.Ken.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast