Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No beer here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No beer here

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    #4 John, don't know about the Hillheads club but the federation brewery has long gone. Clubs were quite a thing, you had to be a member of a club and have an affiliation card to get in or get someone to sign you in. You had to sign your wife in as women weren't allowed to be members, the choice of draft beers were a pint of ordinary or a pint of special. L.C.L. for the ladies, there was a retired member acting as doorman to make sure you were affiliated, All changed now, women allowed in the bar can be members , still play bingo most nights I believe.
    I was a member of both my local clubs but just seemed to drift out the routine of going and haven't been in them for years now, just have a couple of cans at the weekend now, suppose you could say I am part of the demise of my local pub but I am stuck in my old routine now ��
    Regards Michael
    2010, when it closed Michael, the old one was shut down and transferred to the new build at Dunston in 81/82.
    I remember being in the new one in 87/88 looking at some pneumatics issues and was invited into the managers bar by the maintenance manager after sorting the problem. The Fed scotch was like drinking milk and I ended up having to call my wife to come and pick me up after some good hospitality. She took me back the next day to get my car.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    #4 John, don't know about the Hillheads club but the federation brewery has long gone. Clubs were quite a thing, you had to be a member of a club and have an affiliation card to get in or get someone to sign you in. You had to sign your wife in as women weren't allowed to be members, the choice of draft beers were a pint of ordinary or a pint of special. L.C.L. for the ladies, there was a retired member acting as doorman to make sure you were affiliated, All changed now, women allowed in the bar can be members , still play bingo most nights I believe.
    I was a member of both my local clubs but just seemed to drift out the routine of going and haven't been in them for years now, just have a couple of cans at the weekend now, suppose you could say I am part of the demise of my local pub but I am stuck in my old routine now ��
    Regards Michael
    used to use my affiliation card regularly, sunday lunchtimes me and couple of mates had it timed to perfection, kick off at Scotswood for the first round of strippers and comedian, then over the water to Gateshead central for next round of strippers and comedian (always got seats near the door to get out quick after the act or when the fight started) then my to my own home village for the last half hour.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first nail in the coffin for many pubs came with the introduction of the smoking ban in pubs and clubs.
    When on leave and before the children came along wife and self would often start our night out in shields in either the whiteleas or simonside club, excellent beer at very reasonable cost, no trouble with assoles and a good laugh with friends, even had a chance of recouping the cost of the night should you be lucky enough to win on the bingo.
    Rgds
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

12, hi Tony, Sunday lunchtimes were a right of passage as a young lad, remember the bar counter having dishes of crisps and nuts , sausage rolls, roast potatoes.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one Club in Cooma has a big dinning room, meals are a reasonable price, we have dinner there Mondays and Fridays, great staff, can't say I have heard of any fights there in the 15 years we have been here. Beer is not that expensive unless you drink a lot, there are some who buy it by the Jug. Th Club provides a taxi free to members who have had a few to many, they leave their car in the car park. We no longer go there at night so miss out on the big raffles of meat, which we used to win on a regular basis.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very few pubs her in Oz cities, but most country regions still have some of the good old fashioned ones.
    Mainly clubs now, food, beer and of course lots of 'pokies'.
    It is the money from these that allows for cheaper meals and beer at reasonable prices.
    Many like our local one have Saturday night shows on a regular basis.
    Last week has a 'Queen' night, sold out weeks before.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    Come on tell us how you dressed for the Queens night out.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In a replica of Edgar Hoovers bra and the ever faithful shorts. ? JS
    R575129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2