Thread: This is a new idea to me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This is a new idea to me

In tonight's Portsmouth Evening news , the paper reports that Agency Workers employed by Guernsey Crewing , an offshoot of Clyde marine , charges 38p per hour to the seagoing staff on the P&O Pride of Bilbao for their acoomadation , the seventy staff are on £5.80 per hour , cleaning and bar staff , working 18 days on 12 days off . Is this exploitation ?
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not exploytation just plain robbery. Though if they are getting 5.80 per hour they get a far better deal than the crew on cruise liners. What ever happened to the good old days. all found and aroom by the sea with an early morning call?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question They are many more waiting for a job

Hi ROB PAGE, hi happy john in oz, hi shipmates, I was on that one with the mrs on a shopping trip to Bilbao, about 2 years ago , the only proper crew are British officers and some british seamen on deck, all the rest are unskilled agency workers ,from every -where I had a talk to one young lady on the bar about this any one say anything about they working conditions they are replaced s.a.p.and black listed by agency no overtime is paid to any of them,if you want to drink ? the bar and have money its open 24x7 The passengers are treated well ? But they are many money making scams' going on board for some of the crew ,in the know all tax free !!!{ big money} only the new ones on board do all the hard work the rest have it easy. Thats why they have no trouble getting crews for the ship but the {Paying } jobs are hard to get. They dont payoff so I was told.