Thread: Home Insurance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Home Insurance

I had my home insurance with a well known UK company. I will not mention the company name. Braid.jpg I am sure you can work out the trading name of the company.
    I was sent my renewal quote on the 7th November which I declined as the increase was nearly £100 more than the policy I had. No claims made and I asked why the big increase. Oh everything is going up cost of living etc!!
    Anyway I checked my online account and details and spotted that the renewal was listed as automatic renewal. I contacted them and told them I never ever sign up for automatic renewal, but the way they set up the site I could not change the automatic renewal.
    Sent them an email and no reply, Phoned them and instructed the agent to alter my setting , which I had never setup in the first place. Okay I have removed the automatic removal now. Can you send me an email that my settings are changed now. He was very helpful and yes he did email me with the new settings and clearly stated no auotmatic renewal. That was on the 8th November. Check the bank this morning and £221.21 gone from the account.
    Not happy, phoned and , so sorry for our mistake we will refund the money to your account with in 10 working days. Ah!! no you will refund the money today or your company name will be all over socail media, face book etc!. Money was back in my account by 13.30hrs this afternoon.

As a rule I never re insure with the same company. I always contact them and ask them to offer me a better deal than they are or I vote with my feet. I did insure the car 2 years on the bounce with LV but only after they gave me a matched deal I had pulled up on an online website.
    Last edited by James Curry; 29th November 2023 at 11:58 PM.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Michael Black thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Home Insurance

I would never ever let anyone take money out of or access my bank account, small as it is, if they want a bill payed they can send a letter and I will send them a cheque.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Michael Black thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can see where you are coming from Des, and like me too dislike that sort of thing, however unfortunately in this day and age, things are changing so much that i am afraid at some stage soon, there will be no options on such things but to pay by Automatic Payment System.
    It is as you may well have heard , that it wont be many Years more before all cash is no more available, and all Transactions will be by Card etc!
    What this World is coming to, i really dont know!
    Feel sorry for so many out there who dont know how to operate all these new Gadgets , and still rely on the old time methods.

Oh well dont think a lot of us have to worry too much mate, as we wont be around to have to go through all this new crap! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz most companies offer discounts for anyone who will use Direct Debit.
    I use it for moat utilities and insurances.
    I get a notice well before due date and this year asked the bank with whom we have a number of policies why such a small increase.

Reply, you have been with us for a number of years and never made a claim.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Michael Black, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1, James you are right we always check the box to not auto renew. Sometimes it does pay to stay with the same provider, we had separate house contents and home insurance with the bank, they amalgamated them into one policy and it was cheaper than the two separately, less admin for them.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    #1, James you are right we always check the box to not auto renew. Sometimes it does pay to stay with the same provider, we had separate house contents and home insurance with the bank, they amalgamated them into one policy and it was cheaper than the two separately, less admin for them.
    Regards Michael
    Pays to double check, I took over looking after financial matters for an elderly relatively a few years back; she thought the banks were the be all and end all, a major bank was charging her £360 for house and contents (v small house), I changed to an insurance cpmpany (major) and got better cover for £120; nice little earner for banks,

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We pay most of our bills through the Post Office, as here in Cooma most of the banks are closed, our pension goes into the one still open, other bills I such as the Rates I pat direct to the Council.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post