Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is important

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This is important

This short clip is worth watching until the end, IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, these things are fitted in most houses, certainly in the UK, they have a life span of 5-10 years. I had gone shopping with my wife for approx 3 hrs, came home to a house full of steam, carpets floating, wall paper hanging off, etc. luckily i live in a bungalow, otherwise in a house, could be ceiling down as well. i have been since June with insurance company drying the place out, redecorating, and new carpets. Finally straight this week. needles to say i have had all of these connections renewed, there were six in my place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hizg-w0nO48
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This is important

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    This short clip is worth watching until the end, IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, these things are fitted in most houses, certainly in the UK, they have a life span of 5-10 years. I had gone shopping with my wife for approx 3 hrs, came home to a house full of steam, carpets floating, wall paper hanging off, etc. luckily i live in a bungalow, otherwise in a house, could be ceiling down as well. i have been since June with insurance company drying the place out, redecorating, and new carpets. Finally straight this week. needles to say i have had all of these connections renewed, there were six in my place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hizg-w0nO48
    Have seen similar Keith, I dont think that the wire braid is stainless or if it is, v poor grade. The pipe flexs with pressure changes and the cold taps can collect condensation which can be the start for corrosion? . You can get similar style braided hoses for your car brake hydraulics, but personally never seen them go rusty so speaks volumes about quality of domestic stuff,

Marian Gray Guest

#3, Blooming heck Keith what a chore that has been for you both. Your good lady will I imagine be thrilled it's all done and dusted just in time for Christmas..........Sorry couldn't resist.xx

Thank you, Have sent you link on to my son as I renovated his cottage years ago and can't think what was installed there or since.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, Chris is now dusting and cleaning in a frenzy, she always maintains we have come very near divorce about this time of year, but we have survived 58 Christmases so far, lol
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a similar problem mate after the builder had finished the bathroom as he used the flexible hoses for the vanity unit. What transpired is that the hose was to long and over the years the back of the vanity drawer rubbed against the hose and ended up just like that hose in the picture. Makes me wonder if that was not the cause of that fault. Yes woke up in the morning to the sound of running water in the hall way but most went down the drain in the bathroom floor thankfully so just a matter of getting the correct hose for the job which I did. Now I am concerned if I need to replace them again but personally would like to just do it with copper pipe and get the bends right or hope that I kark it before that is needed lol. My advice is to make sure that the hose is not positioned where abrasion will wear it out and if so cover it with protection from such abrasion
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 28th November 2023 at 10:01 PM.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem is Les, these mono block taps, you know the one tap does hot and cold, then it is only flexible that will fit, not possible to connect copper. Ordinary taps can be connected with copper, a lot of it is easy for plumbers to fit these damn things , as opposed to work involved with copper. Just need to be aware.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith.
    That was a good video, should be shown on National TV. I think all our pipes are copper, but have had hoses with zink [I think} pipes but got them changed.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most new houses built here in Oz have plastic or rubber water pipes.

Problem is the joins if not fitted correctly and sealed do not last.
    Then the problem of wanting to hang a picture.
    The nail goes into the pipe!!!!!

Pipes are supposed to be run in such a manner so that sort of situation does not occur.
    But there are so many 'plumbers' who like to cut corners.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those plastic pipes are in use widely here as well, problems have occurred with them as well, mice and particularly rats will gnaw through them, and then what a pain to replace them. that happened with a friend of mine, lived in an old manor house, rats climbed up a vine on the outside of the house, in to the roof space, and gnawed the pipes.
    R689823

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He should have put a load of salt on them Kieth.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast