Thread: Worst job in the world

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Worst job in the world

Worst job in the world. In India there are men whose job it is to clear blocked cess pits. Naked except for a loin cloth they jump into the cess pits and clear the blockages with their hands and bodies. Wouldn't like to be sitting next to one of them on the bus going home from work.
    At one time in the UK residents were paid one penny for leaving a bucket of urine outside their houses. This is where Penny Lane came from.
    The urine was used in the hat making and tanning process.

Second worst job in the world. Bedroom steward on one of the floating block of flats. Many of us on site have complained of wrestling with the duvet just making up one bed. Imagine doing that for thousands of passengers. Perhaps John in Oz can tell us how often the bed linen is changed on a cruise.
    My sea going career would have ended at the first port of my first ship if that had been part of the job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Worst job in the world

Apart from the odd bilge diving as a deck crew, i enjoyed the job,, in port we always had the weekend free , pretty much after midday Saturday, catering crew never seemed to get this luxury. I talk of general cargo ships, not the floating pigeon coops, .
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    Worst job in the world. In India there are men whose job it is to clear blocked cess pits. Naked except for a loin cloth they jump into the cess pits and clear the blockages with their hands and bodies. Wouldn't like to be sitting next to one of them on the bus going home from work.
    At one time in the UK residents were paid one penny for leaving a bucket of urine outside their houses. This is where Penny Lane came from.

Second worst job in the world. Bedroom steward on one of the floating block of flats. Many of us on site have complained of wrestling with the duvet just making up one bed. Imagine doing that for thousands of passengers. Perhaps John in Oz can tell us how often the bed linen is changed on a cruise.
    My sea going career would have ended at the first port of my first ship if that had been part of the job.
    Block of flats good one

- - - Updated - - -

chit jobs LOUIS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post

Most of the poor sods in India do not have access to cess pits, working in or use of.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I worked for the Sydney Water Board we increased the size of a treatment plant in a place called Winmallee in the the Blue Mountains,One job was to suck out a huge pond of effluence, tough job but someone had to do it, good money so I volunteered, I wore a complete rubber suit and had to move the six inch suction pipe around the pond, if I remember correctly it took about a week. When one looks at it not much difference to tank cleaning.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 30th October 2023 at 12:38 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The dreaded Duvet which I think Ivan had a problem with.

On cruise ships, as is often the case with many hotels, the duvet is only changed at the end of the voyage.
    A sheet is between the Duvet and the person, the way that most 'normal' people here in Oz do.

Unless there is an 'accident' sheets are changed every five days.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Louis the fly, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 Thanks John a case in point where a simple idea is the best solution.