Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Irish or eu madness

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Irish or eu madness

Ivan did you read my post? I said in the last 400 years. So with the plantation of Ireland 1609 the Protestant English & Scots helped themselves to the better lands mainly in the North.

Now why would anyone want to attack Ireland ? Maybe for the Guinness or a better quality of whiskey, maybe even Kerrygold butter.

- - - Updated - - -

John , fact check.

It is also well known that Ireland being neutral had a number of R&R camps during WW1.
    'It;s a Long, Long way to Tipperary,' was written about that.

Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom during WW1 and did not become a neutral state until 1922.
    Last edited by James Curry; 10th June 2023 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes James I did read your post stem to stern, word for word, but like most of your posts you cherry pick information to suit your agenda, but keep up the good work, you're always entertaining in one way or another

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very good Ivan as long as you enjoy them, not that keen on cherries mind, not bad when in Yogurt not likely to swallow a stone
    But Ivan as you well know there is so much history about the place if one did not cherry pick we would have to write a book. Especially on how the English treated the Irish down through the ages. Perhaps the Romans had the right idea and said, eff this for a game of soldiers and never really bothered with the place , same with Scotland built a wall and kept the Oat meal savages on the other side.
    Last edited by James Curry; 10th June 2023 at 11:12 AM.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No doubt then you are aware of the Easter up rising of 1916, but though still part of UK they were neutral.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James you may or may not know the following .

Further to the Easter uprising.
    13 men were arrested and charged, all found guilty and executed,
    But one, a man by the name of Plunket, was a non combatant, just a printer.
    But he had printed all the propaganda for the uprising.
    On the night before his execution his lady bought a wedding ring and got a priest to accompany her to the prison for a last visit.
    Thye were married and then allowed just 15 minutes together,
    Next morning at dawn he was taken out, tied to a chair and executed by firing squad,'
    His wife never remarried dying in 1966.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes thomas michael, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

#25, John, with respect Joseph Plunkett was very much at the forefront when it came to the Easter Rising.

9. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Marian, he was a poet and part time scientist as well, and though part of the uprising was not considered to be a combatant.

Also a mentor to Micheal Collins

In a small church in Tipperary there is a monument to him, saw it last year when there.
    My late father in law was in the Irish Police force at the time, just a young 19 year old lad, never spoke about the execution but according to my mother in law he was on duty with two other police on the prison gate that morning.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Yes Marian, he was a poet and part time scientist as well, and though part of the uprising was not considered to be a combatant.

Also a mentor to Micheal Collins

In a small church in Tipperary there is a monument to him, saw it last year when there.
    My late father in law was in the Irish Police force at the time, just a young 19 year old lad, never spoke about the execution but according to my mother in law he was on duty with two other police on the prison gate that morning.
    Soldiers'_memorial,_Kilkenny.jpg

I see his blood upon the rose
    And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
    His body gleams amid eternal snows,
    His tears fall from the skies.

I see his face in every flower;
    The thunder and the singing of the birds
    Are but his voice—and carven by his power
    Rocks are his written words.

All pathways by his feet are worn,
    His strong heart stirs the ever-beating sea,
    His crown of thorns is twined with every thorn,
    His cross is every tree.

13. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marion, along with the metal monumental plate within the church there is a written script about Plunket.
    There last year with my niece who saw it and asked who he was. Though her dad, my wife's brother may have told her, but obviously not.

The script tell who he was and what he did, he was a poet, journalist and part time scientist.
    His journalistic skills made it easy for him to arrange for printing of the propaganda put out by the uprising group.

A man of some talents educated at the same school as James Joyce and a mentor for Micheal Collins.

Though part of the leading group who set up the uprising he was not directly involved in it.
    After the uprising when the British army was back in control some 15 locals were found guilty and executed, most were hanged but as considered a civilian Plunket was shot by firing squad.

Grace his wife of some 7 hours never remarried.
    According to info in the church she died in 1966, but the account on the NET shows her dying in1955.
    Some one has got it wrong.

End of history lesson for today.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks N/A, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Not quite John! Must say was rather surprised your Irish taught? niece knew little of Plunkett as the Irish nation are extremely proud of their IRB [Irish Republican Brotherhood] Martyrs. My children certainly knew of him and his place in Irish History when resident. Lost count of the number of school trips taken all over the place in pursuit of it and me gladly along for the ride.

Joseph Mary Plunkett always a sickly child and adulthood had travelled extensively to improve his health. Schooled in various well established places of learning including England and proving a highly articulate man as were his siblings, bit of a dandy too and possibly a charmer I thought .He and his family were mired in all sorts of ways to enable the 1916 Rising. He himself may not have lifted a gun but he was instrumental behind the scenes doing all in his power to facilitate ''The Cause''. He managed though along with a few others during the week itself to drag a lorry to the middle of a road in order to protect themselves from the firing. An Irish Republican Movement based in the USA financed his 1914 trip via Norway along with that of Roger Casement to Germany. Plunkett, to acquire arms which were latterly intercepted by the British near the then Queenstown. Casement to procure 300 Irish POW'S by offering Germany the Kingship of Ireland should Britian lose the War.....[So a German King as opposed to a British one!!! I believe Casement only persuaded around fifty POW'S in all, though stand to be corrected on that number, bearing in mind the penalty for them if caught on return. 'Tis strongly suggested [unproven as yet] that his new wife miscarried shortly after the marriage and would explain why Plunkett urged her to fight his family for his inheritance as requested in his Will. Was a long haul but she eventually managed a moderate sum. Heaps more but will leave you the link below to ponder for yourself.

https://www.dib.ie/biography/plunkett-joseph-mary-a7389

Mrs Plunkett: https://www.rte.ie/history/2022/0530...grace-gifford/

https://source.southdublinlibraries....m_DSC_0366.jpg
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 20th June 2023 at 01:09 PM. Reason: adding photograph hopefully

17. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast